Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HowTO: Comprehensive Guide to Customising GDM and XSplash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HowTO: Comprehensive Guide to Customising GDM and XSplash

Quote Originally Posted by tinivole View Post
    Pfft - Usplash is not part of the X startup.

I'm pretty certain you can look up many Usplash guides, (I think you just edit /etc/usplash.conf). And you can probably find many themes on gnome-look.org.

Regards
    Iain
    Touché, I retract my statement , comprehensive it is. I'll look at theming usplash.

Beans
    Hidden!

Great guide Iain =D>

I just used it to add a custom xsplash theme, and it worked perfectly. I appreciate all the effort you put into this guide, and it shows that xsplash really is customizable.

-Woody

Beans

When using Openbox XSplash significantly seems to slow down the login time significantly. As such, I wasn't so much interested in customizing it as I was in completely disabling it. There wasn't any obvious way, here's a bit of a hack to accomplish it:

Code:
    cp /etc/dbus-1/system.d/xsplash.conf ~/xsplash.conf 
    sudo rm /etc/dbus-1/system.d/xsplash.conf
    sudo touch /etc/dbus-1/system.d/xsplash.conf

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ABCC View Post
    When using Openbox XSplash significantly seems to slow down the login time significantly. As such, I wasn't so much interested in customizing it as I was in completely disabling it. There wasn't any obvious way, here's a bit of a hack to accomplish it:

Code:
    cp /etc/dbus-1/system.d/xsplash.conf ~/xsplash.conf 
    sudo rm /etc/dbus-1/system.d/xsplash.conf
    sudo touch /etc/dbus-1/system.d/xsplash.conf
    How about uninstalling xsplash?

Beans

Hi. Great tutorial. One question I had is if there is any way to control which monitor the GDM login prompt shows up on in a dual-head setup? I have an ATI-Radeon and my Xrandr dual-head settings are set in my xorg.conf file so GDM does see both monitors. The problem is that one monitor is the primary monitor and I would like to always have the login prompt/chooser show up on that monitor. Instead, it almost always shows up on the secondary monitor. I have found that if I move the mouse to the primary monitor while GDM is loading, the chooser will show up on the primary monitor. Is there a way to hard code this? In Jaunty and earlier, GDM just did the right thing and always chose the primary(left) monitor so I never had to mess with it.

Beans

Hey, I followed your tutorial and so far it has worked great, gdm2setup never worked for me and this finally allowed me to configure gdm. But I do have one question though, I made compiz the window manager by using the second method listed but now that I have done that some things on my desktop are little messed up an I cannot figure out how to fix it. For instance, in my window title bar my minimize maximize and close buttons are messed up. They are in reversed order. Also the title bar font is different. In rhythmbox, just rhythmbox, the menu bar has disappeared. When I revert back to metacity the problems are cleared up but then my gdm doesn't work the way I wanted. A minor issue but I thought I would ask nonetheless.

Thanks
    Last edited by bburkert517; March 17th, 2010 at 02:49 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderDGreat View Post
    Hi thanks for this tutorial.Now I can fix the bug and customize gdm.

Disable User List:
    sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list --type bool true

And fixing the bug, Enhance Contrast In Colors:
    sudo cp /usr/share/applications/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow

Unlinking it:
    sudo unlink /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop

PS I have a question, why do they have to make it complicated every distribution? I'm using Karmic Koala now. What if I'm just a regular user and don't know these commands? I've spent a good whole morning just customizing a login screen the way I wanted? I just don't find it productive, it's saddening.

ditto. It seems that now that I've upgraded to 9.10 I am spending way too much time trying to configure simple stuff that used to be easy to configure.

this gdm tweak is awesome. I'm trying it with mythtv now to see if I can have a login-free version.
    Last edited by trorion; March 22nd, 2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: forgot the reason I was reading this thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

How do you make the login box transparent?
    Last edited by waveOSBeta; July 21st, 2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Yay! I spilled the beans! :P

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234