Thread: Newbie Questions

Beans

Newbie Questions

I'm completely new to Linux, heard about it a lot and have done a lot of tinkering around with Windows. I just downloaded Ubuntu 9.10 today and really have no idea what I'm getting into. Here are my questions:
    Can I install Windows programs on Ubuntu like office, printers, etc?
    Can I always just boot from the CD instead of installing it on the harddrive, or will that make things more difficult?
    If I do install Ubuntu on a portion of my harddrive, will it still have access to my files on the other portion that is Windows?
    I downloaded Ubuntu, what is the difference between Ubuntu and all the other Linux OS's?
    Which one is really best for a newbie?

Like I said, I'm new and haven't tried it at all, just trying to figure out what I want to do with it now that I have a CD. Thanks all.

Beans

Re: Newbie Questions

Quote Originally Posted by bibleguy125 View Post
    I'm completely new to Linux, heard about it a lot and have done a lot of tinkering around with Windows. I just downloaded Ubuntu 9.10 today and really have no idea what I'm getting into. Here are my questions:
    Can I always just boot from the CD instead of installing it on the harddrive, or will that make things more difficult?
    If I do install Ubuntu on a portion of my harddrive, will it still have access to my files on the other portion that is Windows?
    I downloaded Ubuntu, what is the difference between Ubuntu and all the other Linux OS's?

Like I said, I'm new and haven't tried it at all, just trying to figure out what I want to do with it now that I have a CD. Thanks all.
    1. Yes.. Using Wine.. Ubuntu has printing capabilities that you can use though.. And then there is OpenOffice that you can use instead of MS office.
    2. It is possible, however you can't save things when running from the CD... Except maybe onto a USB drive or something.
    3. Yes.. It's called dual-booting.. Which is what I'd recommend for starters..
    4. Personal preference basically. Ubuntu has a great community, but you will have to find out what you like.. Ubuntu is considered to be one of the easiest Linux OS'es to learn.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Running it from the CD all the time is much slower and any changes you make to the system is not saved when you boot up the next time.
    Ubuntu has a program called Wine which will enable running of some Windoz programs in the Ubuntu environment, but not all. But for most programs there are alternative native programs that will do the job just as well.
    Ubuntu is arguably the easiest for a newbie, although there is no argument that this forum is the best place to seek help.
    I would rather be Ubuntu-ing.

Don't shake my hand. I don't want your germs.

Beans

Hi,

Some few Windows programs can be made to work in Ubuntu. But you need a special program to do so. It's called WINE. Windows Office is one group of software that can be run with WINE.

Printers are pretty well supported so aren't a real problem.

You can always boot and run the CD if you wish. It just has certain limitations that might or might not be OK for you. But an install is generally best for speed and convenience. And to get the most out of your software.

And if you do an install you will continue to have access to your Windows partitions and the files on those partitions. It's called dual booting and is very popular. Ubuntu is very good about automatically setting it up for you.

There really isn't too much difference between distros. There are different package managers, (debs. vs. rpms. vs tarballs, vs source), different desktop managers and looks. But the concepts that you will learn running Ubuntu will also work for Fedora or PCLinuxOS.

Which might be best for you? You will just have to try them to see.

dalee

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Sounds like you might want to look up WUBI and think about trying it first. Launching head first into Linux, dual booting, USB drives, and not knowing what, or whether, your software app will work with WINE, could leave you in an unwanted place.

Here, you definitely find help and friends. Just do a little searching like you are now.

Best,
    Dan

Beans

If you have enough unpartitioned space on your hard drive, you can install Ubuntu, and I think the program is called grub, that will allow dual booting when you power up. You get 30 seconds or so to decide at power up, to choose Ubuntu or windows. I don't know how much space you would need, or if Ubuntu can make space with already partitioned disc space that is currently used for windows. There are windows programs to allow you to play with disc partitions too.

Open office is quite similar to windows office. Some features better, some not. You can open windows .doc files and excel files and such too.

For everyday computer use many of the distributions of Linux have their own window-like environment. It is hard to answer which is better for your needs. Ubuntu is just on of the more popular flavors.

If you really are a bible guy, there are very nice bible search programs for Linux/Ubuntu out there too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

bibleguy125,

If you are, in fact, a bibleguy then you might want to consider Ubuntu CE (Christian Edition). Here is the link to it: http://ubuntuce.com/ .

Your questions seem to have been answered; I would agree that dual-booting is your best option although you might consider Wubi, also:http://wubi-installer.org/ . Also: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

Here is the link to a free downloadable .pdf Ubuntu Pocket Guide: http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/ .
    It is a very good resource for beginners (and not-so-beginners).
    Last edited by jmszr; November 22nd, 2009 at 12:46 AM.

Beans

i would recommend downloading ubuntu-tweak (http://ubuntu-tweak.com/downloads)
    it makes customizing and using ubuntu a lot easier
    plus there is an application you can download called "play-on-linux"
    micorosoft office didnt work too hot for me on wine alone, but play-on-linux made it work perfectly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

1. Yes, somewhat. Although it has gotten easier with time, it is still very very hard to do when you just want it to "just work".

2. Yes you will, granted you choose the right partition set up when installing Ubuntu. Just remember to not select: "Use entire disk."

3. Ubuntu is one of the biggest distros around and as such has a massive community that will probably help you with your troubles. Also, it's one of the easiest to use. The most user friendly Linux out there however, is Linux Mint.
    The problem 99.999% of the times lies between the chair and the computer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

1. It is better to use native linux souftware, but there is an incomplete, but partially working program for linux called WINE that runs windows programs. check http://winehq.org for more info and to see compatible programs. Printer drivers are provided on linux by default. if you tell us what printer you have (PLEASE DONT SAY LEXMARK), we could help you further (p.s. most (80%) of all HP printers are compatible.
    2. When you run Ubuntu from the cd, the contents of the CD are loaded onto the RAM. When you shut off the computer, the data thats inside the RAM is lost. which means that all the files, configuration, and things you did will be wiped when you shut down the computer. Alternatively, there is a site called PenDriveLinux that deals with installing Ubuntu on USB drives and other portable media.
    3. Ubuntu has support for both FAT32, FAT16, FAT, and NTFS partitions. If you want, you can permanantly mount the partition as startup so that you do not need to do it manually
    4. Ubuntu is actually the best out there for newbies. As you can see, it has a large userbase, and lots of helpful people running around here.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.