Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Laser Printers work nicely ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

What Laser Printers work nicely ?

Hi all

I am just contemplating buying a laser printer, ideally it does double sided and ideally colour. The latter is optional !

Has anyone got any suggestions what would be a good laser printer for a home network with 5 machines currently running 64 bit Karmic and Jaunty. Also some Windows dual boot in there which may need the occasional printer activity.

I would prefer to have it setup as a network printer so that we don't have any pc's to act as a print server.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Richard

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: What Laser Printers work nicely ?

I'm told that HP is the most "Linux friendly" of all the printer manufacturers. You'll prob'ly have alot less fuss and bother getting an HP printer to work with Linux. And there's a whole bucketful of HP tools in the repositories already too!

Hope that helps,
    Robin

Beans
    Distro

Yes I agree, I recently bought a HP officejet networked ink jet printer after fighting with my canon printer for too long. The HP drivers just work.

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...ces/index.html

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your replies

I currently have a HP Inkjet and it works 99.9% right, no complaints with it really.

Thanks for taking the time

Cheers Richard

Beans

I have had good luck with Samsung as well.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by rlogan View Post
    Hi all

I am just contemplating buying a laser printer, ideally it does double sided and ideally colour. The latter is optional !

Has anyone got any suggestions what would be a good laser printer for a home network with 5 machines currently running 64 bit Karmic and Jaunty. Also some Windows dual boot in there which may need the occasional printer activity.

I would prefer to have it setup as a network printer so that we don't have any pc's to act as a print server.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Richard
    My personal experience has been with my HP 2605dn Color Laserjet Printer. When I first installed Ubuntu 9.10, Karmic Koala, I navigated to "Applications, Ubuntu Software Center". Once there I typed "HP" into the search dialog box and it came up with the "HPLIP Toolbox".

I read the description, installed the application, followed the simple instructions, and viola I was printing. I had more difficulty getting the printer recognized by Windows Vista then I did Ubuntu.

I have read on the HP forums that HP considers the 2605 a throw away printer but mine is 3 years old and works like a champ.

Just my $1.98 worth!
    Mike

Beans

I have a brother wireless laser multifunction device. It was a little more involved to install than an HP printer that work pretty much out of the box. But Brother does support linux and provides drivers for the printer and the scanner on their site with detailed instructions.

Beans

I've used samsungs (ML-2510) and Epsons (Stylus C60 - inkjet) and both of them worked well in each distro and windows I've connected to them (including as a remote printer from 100 miles away). the ML-2510 is only b&w but most of the samsungs have a linux driver. Check http://www.openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi to find out what should work easily (HPs are always a good bet)
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BDNiner View Post
    I have a brother wireless laser multifunction device. It was a little more involved to install than an HP printer that work pretty much out of the box. But Brother does support linux and provides drivers for the printer and the scanner on their site with detailed instructions.
    Thanks for the reply !!

Which Brother printer are you using, I was actually looking at a few this morning.

Thanks heaps

Richard

Beans
    Distro

Thanks everyone for the new replies.

I appreciate all your feedback

Have been looking at quite a few Brother machines (haven't had a Brother printer since the C64 days), some Fuji Xerox and a HP this morning.

Thanks heaps

Cheers

Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast