Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NB100 problems The system just freezes

Beans

NB100 problems The system just freezes

I have a serious problem. I bought a Toshiba nb100 which came with windows xp, so i decided to install the latest(in that time) UNR which was 9.04. Everything worked fine with the jaunty edition. But then when I updated to Karmic, the system started to freeze by not apparent reason. First i thought it was because i didnt updated my bios, so i did it and nothing changed. I made a clean install with my bios fully updated and nothing. I updated the OS and the problem was still there.

The system freezes between 10 or 20 minutes after startup or after a wakeup. The problem didnt happen in UNR 9.04. Its really weird because when i dont do anything, the system doesnt freeze. I think the problem is related to the wireless driver or something like that because almost 90% of the time it happens when i am surfing on internet or trying to connect to a wireless network.

Please I need help :s It have been a month since i could not use Ubuntu

Beans

Re: NB100 problems The system just freezes

I am also having an issue with UNR 9.10 on an IBM T40. Booting into the Live environment freezes immediately and booting into the installed UNR 9.10 freezes immediately (Hung at a partially loaded UNR desktop).

I tried UNR 9.10 on a Dell Latitude E6500 and it just ran so well, I wanted to see if it could breathe new life into an old dog.

Beans

Unhappy Re: NB100 problems The system just freezes

I have the same problem with an NB100. I have just install 9.10 UNR and it is slow to boot and very slow to display menu items.
    If i mouse over a menu item then the screen takes 2-3 minutes to update. If you mouse over an icon then the screen takes 2-3 minutes to update.
    If you happen to accidentally mouse over any of these items then the screen takes 2-3 minutes to update. Very frustrating.
    If you move the mouse in an area of the screen without icons or menus then the mouse performs as expected.
    I am dual booting with XP.
    If I use a Puppy Linux Live CD or a PCLinuxOS it works without any problems.
    If I use a 9.10 UNR or a 9.10 live disc I have the same problem.
    Can anyone give any suggestions on how to fix this ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Same problem here with Toshiba NB100. The system responds very slowly, mouse and graphics related? I can move between windows with the Alt-Tab switch, but not with the mouse, it takes ages (20 secs - 60 secs, sometimes couple minutes of hangs). Again using a terminal for example, there are no problems with performance, however, when I try going back to the application menu, it refuses to do it.

Alt-tab works if I want to switch back to the terminal, and then everything seems ok, until I want to switch back to the main menu. screen gets distorted, and all kinds of strange graphical behavior.

I think this is an issue related with the graphics or mouse driver for some reason

Beans

Do your OS freezes?? Yours at least run

By now I am using 9.04, I gave up with 9.10 U.U

But I think the graphic problem is related to UNR launcher, that is why I prefer using the original desktop.
    In my case I had some similar problems but with 9.04 and following this instructions I solved my problem.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/newreply.php...te=1&p=8379588

Hope there someone similar for Karmic too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hey Guys,

I dont know if i have the same problem, but i have an nb100 with the latest bios and UNR 9.10, and if i boot up, it sometimes freezez, and in rare cases i have control back in a few seconds. I've tried to bind it to something, but its really random. What i had figured out, but still needs testing: if it freezez up, i plug in a pendrive, and i get the control back immediately. I'll try to figure it out, if i have a soulution or any info i'll share it.

Cheers,
    Dave

Beans

Really similar problem to mine, although I have not noticed that about the pendrive(I will try it if I can).

Beans

Hi, I also have a similar problem..
    Had 9.04 and it worked great.. last night updated to 9.1 and now it is really slow. For me the problem appears to be the graphics... it takes several seconds to refresh the screen and things dont scroll properly, they are very jerky.

For example, when trying to scroll through the options in 'System' the screen does not scroll smoothly, it will simply jerk up and down over a few seconds.
    When you have a window open and close it, the background should go from faded icons to normal, but instead of 'fading in' they jerk from faded, to half faded, to normal, and it takes around 5 seconds or more.

I have checked in System, appearance, to make sure the visual effects are set to 'none', but they are already off. Possibly a new video driver might help?

Unfortunately I'm coming to ubuntu from XP and dont really have any idea where to look or how to load new drivers.. When I go to System, Hardware Drivers, it tells me 'no proprietary drivers are installed on this system'..

Hopefully someone can help, otherwise I will have to go back to 9.04, which I'm not sure how to do either - can 9.1 be uninstalled or do I need to wipe the partition and reload 9.04 from a USB stick?

Beans

I have had no issue's with my 9.10 unr and normal desktop installation.
    You might wannna check:
    - Start, System, Preferences,Appearance
    - Go to "visual effects" and check if there is "none" selected.

Good luck

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nutcola View Post
    Unfortunately I'm coming to ubuntu from XP and dont really have any idea where to look or how to load new drivers.. When I go to System, Hardware Drivers, it tells me 'no proprietary drivers are installed on this system'..

Hopefully someone can help, otherwise I will have to go back to 9.04, which I'm not sure how to do either - can 9.1 be uninstalled or do I need to wipe the partition and reload 9.04 from a USB stick?
    Is normal the message of "no proprietary drivers are installed on this system", because you are using drivers that have been developed by Ubuntu community itself, for example if you use drivers for ATI or NVIDIA, then you will use drivers that are property of ATI or Nvidia.

For restoring your 9.04..... I think that when you boot, you are given the option to chose between which OS to boot, in that menu you can also boot from some restoration points, I think you can try that out.

Good Luck
    Cesar

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast