Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu 9.10

Beans

Talking HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu 9.10

I could not connect to my company's private VPN via Juniper Network Connect after I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop. It took me a lot of time to search the web for the answer. After doing some trials and errors, I found the solution, which turned out quite simple. Hopefully, this solution will work for you too. Here you go:

PROBLEM: After I click on the [start] button of the Network Connect prompt on the Juniper Network VPN screen, I got the error message saying something like "JRE is disabled or not installed" and I got stuck there.

SOLUTION:

1. Install Sun Java runtime
    2. Create a root password and give it to the Juniper setup program when it asks for it. You only need to do this on the first connect. Then ignore such request thereafter.
    3. Restart the browser and start the Network Connect again. It should work.

* Here are the detail steps for the solution. First, I opened the Terninal since all the work will be done at the command line.

1. To install the Sun Java runtime, issue the following command:

sudo aptitude install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts

- Then run Java to make sure that it works.

java -version
    (the output looks like the followings):
    java version "1.6.0_15"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_15-b03)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 14.1-b02, mixed mode)

- Run Firefox and make sure that it has Java plugins by issuing the "about:plugins" command at the URL box and look for java plugins:

about:plugins

2. Create a root password, by issuing the following command. You will be asked for your sudo password and then the new root password, as follows:

sudo passwd root
    [sudo] password for <your-user-name-here>:
    Enter new UNIX password: <root-password>
    Retype new UNIX password: <root-password>
    passwd: password updated successfully

3. Now run Firefox and open your Juniper Private Network page, locate the Network Connect section and click the [start] button. Then the followings happen:

- The Java console opens.
    - The installINC.sh window opens. When this window then asks for the root/su password, give it the root password that you created earlier. It asks something like this:

Please enter root/su password: <root-password>

- Now, close the Java console. You do not need it anymore.

- Also, close the installINC.sh window, if it does not close by itself.

Now, the Network Connect windows opens. You can minimize it. But do not close it. You need to keep it open so that you can access your private network.

4. Now you can ssh to your private network and starting working.

ssh <your-private-domain>

5. After you are tired of working, log out of your private network and click on the [SignOut] button on the Network Connect window to close it.

That's it! :popcorn:

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu 9.10

Everything worked fine few days ago, but today I've got troubles: it asks password, then closes prompt window and do nothing.

Found some error message in the log:

mkotsur@n-fox:~/.juniper_networks/network_connect$ cat ncui.log
    20091123220532.217961 ncui[p2274.t2298] ncapp.info New ncapp log level set to 3 (nccommon.cpp:75)
    20091123220532.218032 ncui[p2274.t2298] ncui.info read from params... (nccommon.cpp:121)
    20091123220532.218175 ncui[p2274.t2298] ncapp.panic Failed to read password from prompt (nccommon.cpp:614)

Yes, I have root user and it's password is correct.

Beans

Smile Re: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu 9.10

Thanks for posting this. I seem to be missing a piece to this puzzle. You mention installNC. Is this part of the Juniper software release? Are you connecting to the firewall's webface on your company's public IP?

Many thanks for any further insight you can offer.

Peter

[QUOTE=edsap;8351211]I could not connect to my company's private VPN via Juniper Network Connect after I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop. It took me a lot of time to search the web for the answer. After doing some trials and errors, I found the solution, which turned out quite simple. Hopefully, this solution will work for you too. Here you go:

Beans

Re: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu 9.10

Quote Originally Posted by GsL9vBab View Post
    ...Hopefully, this solution will work for you too. Here you go:
    And what's solution?

Beans

I was able to connect to Juniper network connect on my Jaunty laptop some days back. Now I can't; whenever I try to connect to VPN, the JAVA window appears, IP address is assigned but the connection goes to SSL/deflate after some time. I know that ESP mode is required for my VPN to work. Help??

sudo ldd ncsvc
    linux-gate.so.1 => (0xb7f13000)
    libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2 (0xb7efd000)
    libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0xb7ee7000)
    libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7ecd000)
    libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libm.so.6 (0xb7ea7000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xb7d44000)
    /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f14000)

./ncsvc --v
    Juniper Network Connect Server for Linux.
    Version : 6.4
    Release Version : 6.4-0-Build14063
    Build Date/time : Mar 11 2009 09:29:32
    Copyright 2001-2008 Juniper Networks

ls -alt | grep libssl
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 2009-12-20 04:40 libssl.so.2 -> /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2009-11-27 04:43 libssl3.so.1d -> libssl3.so
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2009-11-27 04:41 libssl.so.0.9.8 -> /lib/libssl.so.0.9.8
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 191432 2009-08-25 09:27 libssl3.so

ls -alt | grep libstdc++
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 2009-12-20 04:39 libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 -> libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2009-11-27 04:30 libstdc++.so.6 -> libstdc++.so.6.0.10
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 950424 2009-03-17 09:28 libstdc++.so.6.0.10
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1292301 2005-11-20 04:25 libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sotomajor View Post
    Everything worked fine few days ago, but today I've got troubles: it asks password, then closes prompt window and do nothing.

Found some error message in the log:

mkotsur@n-fox:~/.juniper_networks/network_connect$ cat ncui.log
    20091123220532.217961 ncui[p2274.t2298] ncapp.info New ncapp log level set to 3 (nccommon.cpp:75)
    20091123220532.218032 ncui[p2274.t2298] ncui.info read from params... (nccommon.cpp:121)
    20091123220532.218175 ncui[p2274.t2298] ncapp.panic Failed to read password from prompt (nccommon.cpp:614)

Yes, I have root user and it's password is correct.
    Problem is solved for me...

After some investigations I found that problem encapsulated in the user's firefox profile. So replacing it with the clean one fixed applet starting for me.

Code:
    # Shutdown firefox instances
    $ mv ~/.mozilla/firefox/13gda9ez.default ~/.mozilla/firefox/old_profile
    $ cp -r /etc/firefox-3.5/profile ~/.mozilla/firefox/13gda9ez.default
    # Start firefox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm currently trying to get Juniper to work on my 9.10 machine as well. before finding this post I had already made all of the changes mentioned including setting the root password, but when I enter it in the window that pops up, that window closes and nothing else happens, not connected to network, just stuck. I would supply logs, but I am new to linux and don't really know where to get them, any help would be appreciated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WockaNation View Post
    I'm currently trying to get Juniper to work on my 9.10 machine as well. before finding this post I had already made all of the changes mentioned including setting the root password, but when I enter it in the window that pops up, that window closes and nothing else happens, not connected to network, just stuck. I would supply logs, but I am new to linux and don't really know where to get them, any help would be appreciated.
    Please, see my previous post. Clearing firefox profile helped me. One of installed extensions seems to be buggy and causes the problem, but I still can't find time to make further investigations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I reloaded my firefox profile, but it didn't fix the problem for me. I'm still trying to get this working, so any help would be appreciated.

Beans

[QUOTE=edsap;8351211]I could not connect to my company's private VPN via Juniper Network Connect after I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop. It took me a lot of time to search the web for the answer. After doing some trials and errors, I found the solution, which turned out quite simple. Hopefully, this solution will work for you too. Here you go:

PROBLEM: After I click on the [start] button of the Network Connect prompt on the Juniper Network VPN screen, I got the error message saying something like "JRE is disabled or not installed" and I got stuck there.

SOLUTION:

1. Install Sun Java runtime
    2. Create a root password and give it to the Juniper setup program when it asks for it. You only need to do this on the first connect. Then ignore such request thereafter.
    3. Restart the browser and start the Network Connect again. It should work.

* Here are the detail steps for the solution. First, I opened the Terninal since all the work will be done at the command line.

1. To install the Sun Java runtime, issue the following command:

sudo aptitude install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts

- Then run Java to make sure that it works.

java -version
    (the output looks like the followings):
    java version "1.6.0_15"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_15-b03)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 14.1-b02, mixed mode)

- Run Firefox and make sure that it has Java plugins by issuing the "aboutlugins" command at the URL box and look for java plugins:

aboutlugins

2. Create a root password, by issuing the following command. You will be asked for your sudo password and then the new root password, as follows:

sudo passwd root
    [sudo] password for <your-user-name-here>:
    Enter new UNIX password: <root-password>
    Retype new UNIX password: <root-password>
    passwd: password updated successfully

3. Now run Firefox and open your Juniper Private Network page, locate the Network Connect section and click the [start] button. Then the followings happen:

- The Java console opens.
    - The installINC.sh window opens. When this window then asks for the root/su password, give it the root password that you created earlier. It asks something like this:

Please enter root/su password: <root-password>

- Now, close the Java console. You do not need it anymore.

- Also, close the installINC.sh window, if it does not close by itself.

Now, the Network Connect windows opens. You can minimize it. But do not close it. You need to keep it open so that you can access your private network.

I have done the first 3 steps described above. I did it in a slightly different order. I started off resetting the root pwd and installing the Network Connect thingy. I then followed step 1 of this post...

The problem I have is the following:

After accessing the login page via Firefox and filling out username and pwd, I get to see the 'Launching Network Connect'page for a few seconds. It then tries do direct me to the start page, but no Network Connect window opens. The start page is not fully loaded and I get 2 promts saying 'no jQuery'.

Has anyone an idea what the problem is, and how I can resolve it?
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast