Thread: lp command in 9.10 - bloated font output

Beans

lp command in 9.10 - bloated font output

The following command entered from a terminal window:

lp textfile

In Ubuntu 9.04, it works fine.

In Ubuntu 9.10, it prints but in a large, boated font.

I tried using lp -o cpi=12 -o lpi=8 - which made the output a little smaller but still not right.

I also tried modifying /etc/cups/printers.conf file to make the 9.10 file more like the 9.04 file. Result - no printing at all.

The printer is an HP OfficeJet 4215, served by a Windows XP system in my home office.

Suggestions how to trouble-shoot or fix this?? Thanks!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: lp command in 9.10 - bloated font output

I am having the same problem.

When I use -o lpi, I have to specify a number much larger than what actually prints.

Spaces as well are not getting done correctly, I have a file that has words spaced out to a certain column, but it isn't in the right place.

It worked fine in Jaunty.

Beans

Printing a text file to the printer from gvim works fine. That is my work-around until I figure out how to make the lp command work for text files on 9.10, or until a patch comes out.

But in general if you have column spacing requirements you will probably get more reliable output using tabs instead of space characters.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by bhold View Post
    But in general if you have column spacing requirements you will probably get more reliable output using tabs instead of space characters.
    I realize that, but my point is that using spaces worked when I was using Jaunty, but after the upgrade to Karmic, it stopped working correctly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

bump.

Beans

I have no new information except - I thought maybe this was a problem with the printer's ppd file so I replaced the 9.10 file with the one from 9.04 (at /etc/cups/ppd/). Then re-started cupsd. This did not work. I print from Ubuntu to an HP OfficeJet 4210 remotely to an XP system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Does nobody have any answers here? How can this problem only affect two people?

Beans

Problem solved. Must be fixed due to patches as I have not changed anything. I noticed some cups patches the other day, maybe that is what fixed it.