Thread: Ubuntu + Hauppauge 1212 + ATT UVerse + MythTV (help)

Beans

Ubuntu + Hauppauge 1212 + ATT UVerse + MythTV (help)

Hello all.

First off, I will give my system specs, and the versions, and my goal. And then we'll see what its going to take.

- 9.04 64bit Ubuntu
    - Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR
    - ATT Uverse
    - MythTV
    - ATI Radeon 4870 vid card
    - Quad core Q66000 processor, 8gb of ram.

My goal here is that I want to be able to record high definition television to my Uverse DVR, then use the Hauppauge 1212 to transcode these recordings to H.264 high def video files to my computer. Finally then, I will build a database of these recordings on my computer, and use mythtv to playback these files (and music) on demand. I still wish to watch TV normally through the set top box, not through my computer.

Does anyone else use this/do this, and what are their experiences? I'm assuming I need to come out of my set top box using optical audio+component video, into the HD-PVR, and then from there to the receiver, to the tv/soundsystem. Thoughts?

Edit: I could use component/optical out of the uverse box, to the HDPVR, back to the tv. This would allow me to record easily, and control the tv through just the tv and no surround sound. This would leave my HDMI clear for video/audio directly to the receiver for regular tv watching. Then, I'd just hack my ps3 to run linux, and stream the hd vid file directly to my ps3 ubuntu and play to the receiver. Possible?

I'm geekin' out just thinking about the possibilities.
    Last edited by #include; November 19th, 2009 at 11:01 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu + Hauppauge 1212 + ATT UVerse + MythTV (help)

You might do better in the MythTV forum. First I have the hd pvr but don't use MythTV. I would like to note that the hd-pvr must be powered on to passthrough optical audio. Everything you mention seems doable, don't know about ps3 streaming though. As for recording you might find my little recording script useful:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169204

This direct method uses virtually no cpu, and doesn't require MythTV so the computer is fully usable for other purposes!