Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to record all audio output from sound card in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Beans

Re: How to record all audio output from sound card in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well, I have tried both scripts i.e. pa-clone and that of komputes'. Both of them created reasonably sized wav files with silence as a content. I use Lucid. What can be wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

it just didn't work under alsa, never mind though I went back to pulse audio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is great. I can use this to finally record from my speakers audio output and mic at the same time.

Beans

Hey guys!! I made a graphical application for this script:
    http://outrec.sourceforge.net

Enjoy!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zoli4290 View Post
    Well, I have tried both scripts i.e. pa-clone and that of komputes'. Both of them created reasonably sized wav files with silence as a content. I use Lucid. What can be wrong?
    I'm having the same problem, too - it outputs a .wav file but when I play it, there's no sound. This would be a handy application to use, since I can't seem to get Audacity or Sound Recorder to record speaker output...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You can now do this through a GUI application called "OutRec"
    -KVarley
    -Proud member of the Linux Foundation

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kvarley View Post
    You can now do this through a GUI application called "OutRec"
    Through both terminal and OutRec, it creates a .wav file that's completely silent.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by braniac5 View Post
    Through both terminal and OutRec, it creates a .wav file that's completely silent.
    You must be sure to be running pulseaudio (the ubuntu default), and not only alsa, oss, or esd.

Also, you should obviously play something through your speakers when you run this. Perhaps try recording something different than what you already tried?

I'm sorry if these tips don't help. There isn't much else I can tell you without some kind of error output.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by komputes View Post
    I changed the script a bit, this way, you don't have to define output path in case you need to quickly record something. It will simply write the date and time of the recording in the filename and write it to the home directory.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #This script require sox
    #sudo apt-get install sox
    TIME=$(date +%d-%b-%y_%H%M-%Z)

# Get sink monitor:
    MONITOR=$(pactl list | grep -A2 '^Source #' | \
        grep 'Name: .*\.monitor$' | awk '{print $NF}' | tail -n1)

# Record it raw, and convert to a wav
    echo "Recording. Ctrl-C or close window to stop"
    parec -d "$MONITOR" | sox -t raw -r 44100 -sLb 16 -c 2 - ~/Taped_Recording_$TIME.wav
    I also add an entry to my .bashrc to make aliases for quick recording.

Code:
    alias tape ="~/bin/soundrip.sh"
    Can anyone take this and make it a gnome panel applet for quick graphical recording. I think the functionality is already done (take a look at gtk-recordmydesktop code).
    Thanks for this. For ages I thought my crappy in-built sound card was to blame. Every attempt I made at recording the speaker output failed, but this script captures the output perfectly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sepero View Post
    You must be sure to be running pulseaudio (the ubuntu default), and not only alsa, oss, or esd.

Also, you should obviously play something through your speakers when you run this. Perhaps try recording something different than what you already tried?

I'm sorry if these tips don't help. There isn't much else I can tell you without some kind of error output.
    It works now - wasn't anything wrong with outRec/the script. I re-installed pulseaudio/padevchooser/pavumeter/pavucontrol. Then I changed my sound preferences to "Internal Audio" for hardware, "Internal Analog Stereo" for output, and "Analog Headphones" for connector. Now I can record through outRec and regular ol' gnome sound recorder.

I'm not sure exactly what I did, but it works now...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast