Thread: Questions, Suggestions, and Decisions

Beans

Questions, Suggestions, and Decisions

First off, Thank you System76 for even existing, The value you add by bringing driver support, advice, and development have surpassed all competition, and your dedication to Ubuntu has made you my choice for all future computing needs. That said, I have some questions and recommendations regarding your products and services, the first question I have is why don't you have a $500 range computer? The starling is too little computer, and the pangolin is somewhat too much. I need something that is able to do database construction(SQL, Sun Database), audio production(hydrogen,Audacity, LMMS ), and low to moderate statistics and simulation work(virtualbox, PSPP, R). At this point I've made my decision, I'm going with the lemur, and I am satisfied with my decision, however, I wish that I could get 3gb of ram instead of 4, money is limited for me right now and I feel that I don't need 4, but I could sure use 3! I worry that if I choose to downgrade to 32 bit (why bother with 64 bit if I only have 2 gigs of ram) that I will lose all of the device drivers that you have so painstakingly constructed around your laptop. (especally webcam, sleep mode, and other wimax port ) It would be nice to have some assurance that I would be able to integrate these drivers into a reduction, and or a system update, or clean install, again, I'm not in a rush to update to 10.10 and I am completly satisfied with 9.10, so this isn't a massive issue, but it would be nice to get some feedback on this issue. of course, this will not be my only laptop from you, When I get a better job I'm going to max out a serval, I really dont mind throwing down 3k for the top o' the line when it comes to something that is probably the most important thing in my life, and I feel that the lemur is the perfect interrim choice, because it can become my travel computer when I can afford another.

Beans

Re: Questions, Suggestions, and Decisions

also I forgot, I don't need it on this computer, but I do NEED both matte screens and at least 720p on my next computer, which will be a serval, if you could have that as an option about a year from now, I would be grateful. as well as a high def audio output jack.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Have you considered one of System 76's desktop systems? They have three under $500. That frees you up to get the monitor of your choice. Just a suggestion.

Joe

Beans

The funny thing is, I built a system eerily similar to their ratel value desktop about a year and three months ago, and I installed ubuntu first thing. It's funny, I built it as a final project for the A+ Hardware and it cost me 100 dollars more than system76's price, one of my classmates asked, "so there's no windows?" and I laughed. it runs like a madman on 512 mb of ram, so I would assume that 2gb, would be more than enough for anything I can throw at it, Please correct me if I'm wrong. If anyone has a lemur, please tell me your experience!

I NEED a Laptop, I have a very serviceable desktop.
    Actually, their nettops may be perfect for the Linux admin course I am planning, I wonder if they do bulk rates?
    Last edited by IVirOrfeo; April 11th, 2010 at 06:14 AM.

Beans

one more question, does the lemur come pre partitioned, with a OS part and a user data part, I know the starling used to be, it would be convenient

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I don't need 4, but I could sure use 3!
    The Lemur only has one memory card slot. So it needs to be 2GB or 4GB.

I worry that if I choose to downgrade to 32 bit (why bother with 64 bit if I only have 2 gigs of ram) that I will lose all of the device drivers that you have so painstakingly constructed around your laptop.
    The Lemur has a 64-bit architecture and will run better with 64-bit. It will indeed run 32-bit. That shouldn't pose a problem for the driver package we install... theoretically. However, we only test with 64-bit on the Lemur.

but I do NEED both matte screens and at least 720p on my next computer, which will be a serval
    I'll pass that on to the appropriate folks.

Actually, their nettops may be perfect for the Linux admin course I am planning, I wonder if they do bulk rates?
    Sometimes we can offer bulk rates on orders of 50 units or more.

one more question, does the lemur come pre partitioned, with a OS part and a user data part, I know the starling used to be, it would be convenient
    15 GB root partition (/)
    Swap partition equal to installed RAM
    Home (/home) partition on the remainder of the hard drive
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

thank you for responding! I appreciate the answers.
    about the bulk rates, It could work, it really depends on the percent of discount, again I would be petitioning for funds so, If you can make the rates reasonable, I could see this happening.