Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Atten: Starling owners | karmic koala upgrade information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Atten: Starling owners | karmic koala upgrade information

Quote Originally Posted by qiMakur View Post
    Someone should alter the page at http://knowledge76.com/index.php/KarmicUpgrade so that it reflects the current upgrade-not-recommended status.

This morning I decided to finally perform the upgrade and followed the instructions on that page and only when I ran into problems did I discover this discussion and the recommendation that the upgrade NOT be performed. Would that I'd had that information about 4 hours ago.
    I've made a quick edit to the Wiki page explaining that Starling users should NOT upgrade. I (or anyone) can change it once the upgrade is supported.

~Pat
    ~Rubbs
    # /dev/input/ears > /dev/null = Lalalalalala I'm not listening!
    Works With U

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Re: Atten: Starling owners | karmic koala upgrade information

hey System76, I have Ubuntu Netbook Remix9.04 on my starling netbook and my wireless wasn't working so I followed the instructions above for 9.04 if your wireless wasn't working, and my wireless still isn't working! I'm on a wired connection right now. Thanks for the help guys.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Did you follow these steps?

Establish a wired Internet connection. Then go to Administration > Update Manager. Click the "Check" button, and then install any updates. Then reboot your computer.

Now go to Administration > System76 Driver. Click the "Install" tab and the "Install" button. When the driver finishes, reboot your computer.

Your wireless LED now should be on, and you should be able to see wireless access points. If you cannot, there is a spring-loaded toggle switch on the right-hand side of the leading edge of your Starling. Toggle it *ONCE* to the right, and then release it. Now, reboot your computer.

If you did these things and still don't have wireless, I don't know what the answer is.

Beans

I bought a new Starling a while back and have the same wireless problem after upgrading.

I tried all the suggestions posted in this thread to no avail. I love the Starling, but this has been a terribly disappointing experience!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UMR

On being bored, I did a fresh install of Karmic on my starling. No wireless, of course. But a wired connection, download of 2.4 System 76 drivers and installation followed by a twitch of the wifi button and presto I had perfectly acceptable (for me) wireless. I see only about 1/2 of the unhidden wireless setups in my neighbourhood that I could see formerly, the furthest being some 100 yards from me. That is good enough for my purposes and the interface is SO much nicer,

Hunter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    It's not going to be in the next week.

We are looking at a few different options for solving this. We know we can do it by rolling a new kernel that includes the API necessary for compiling the old driver. This would be a one-version solution (i.e. it would work for Karmic, and then when the next version of Ubuntu comes along, we'd try to have the fix rolled permanently into the kernel).

Or, we can keep working with Realtek to get them to re-code the driver to conform with Linux's new API. That one's a bit tougher, but we're trying to leverage a little pressure on Realtek by having Intel go to them for us. Realtek hasn't been responsive thus far.

Or we can continue to try to modify the driver code ourselves, which is tough.

The first option is the easiest, but not a long-term solution. The second option is ideal, but takes a lot of communications work and some good-will.

The third option is doable, but since we aren't C programmers, it is pretty tough.

At any rate, our deadline for getting this done has basically moved out about another three weeks.
    Hi Thomas - Any ETA on the wireless fix for the Starling? Four weeks ago, you estimated it would be about three weeks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've emailed the guy who is working on it, but he's out until the 4th.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeGrrl View Post
    Hi Thomas - Any ETA on the wireless fix for the Starling? Four weeks ago, you estimated it would be about three weeks.

I am also curious. Not trying to heap added pressure on you guys... I'm sure it's a sticky problem, and I am impressed by your dedication to support your products through a untested/half-baked upgrade cycle.

But, yeah... just curious on the ETA of the fix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by noknyc View Post
    I am also curious. Not trying to heap added pressure on you guys... I'm sure it's a sticky problem, and I am impressed by your dedication to support your products through a untested/half-baked upgrade cycle.

But, yeah... just curious on the ETA of the fix.
    I too am just curious. I updated the knowledgebase to reflect the fact that starling users should not upgrade. I'd like to know ASAP so I can change it to refect the latest developments.
    ~Rubbs
    # /dev/input/ears > /dev/null = Lalalalalala I'm not listening!
    Works With U

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unhappy Re: Atten: Starling owners | karmic koala upgrade information

This is getting to be a rather long process, tedious even! So far, System76 doesn't seem to have put a lot of thought or time into this driver problem. And I know this comment reflects my very real frustration at having this nifty little Starling netbook that has to be tethered to an Ethernet cable in order to function. On several occasions since October, Starling users have been told that it will only take a couple of more weeks for System76 to fix the problem; along the way, we have been presented with "fixes" (more like guesses) that do not work and fixes that, after they have been presented, we are almost immediately warned NOT to install them. We have received suggestions that we wait until April--or is it May--for the successor to Karmic. (a convenient delaying tactic as I see it). In all, not an impressive performance. My guess is that System76's $1,800 super-hot new laptop with Ubuntu installed has trumped any concern the organization has for those of us who bought the much less expensive Starlings.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast