Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Atten: Starling owners | karmic koala upgrade information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Atten: Starling owners | karmic koala upgrade information

Thank you. I'm passing this on to R&D for their consideration.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unless they change their minds and go with the wrapper option, it looks like we are moving forward with the custom kernel.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Thanks for the instructions, jsimmond. I followed them to the letter, but unfortunately, my wireless still does not work. My network has only MAC filtering on it but is otherwise unsecured, so I know it's not a WEP/WPA issue. I guess I'll just have to wait.

thomasaaron, thanks for the update. Any ETA yet on the kernel? And just out of curiosity, do you know what exactly it is with the old wireless code that is incompatible with karmic?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Starling Update:

We've decided that the best route is going to be a custom kernel for the Starling for the remainder of 9.10.

Our techs have already made significant progress in that direction. Not sure about the ETA yet or how they will send the fix down to you, but we'll make it happen -- and make it as painless as humanly possible.

I'll follow up the moment I get more information.

Best,
    Tom

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    Starling Update:

We've decided that the best route is going to be a custom kernel for the Starling for the remainder of 9.10.

Our techs have already made significant progress in that direction. Not sure about the ETA yet or how they will send the fix down to you, but we'll make it happen -- and make it as painless as humanly possible.

I'll follow up the moment I get more information.

Best,
    Tom
    Does that mean, if I install the custom kernel I will not be able to upgrade the kernel in the future?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for the workaround. ndiswrapper did the trick for me. Replying via wireless. Too bad thad Ubuntu didn't do a little more testing before releasing KK.
    Enjoy,

Collins

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Does that mean, if I install the custom kernel I will not be able to upgrade the kernel in the future?
    I'm not sure. Possibly.

But we're also working to get the wireless driver added to the *next* version. That will cure the problem permanently.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Thomasaaron:

If you are going to be using a custom kernel for Starling, why not kill two birds with one stone? By compiling it with "CONFIG_ACPI_AC=m" and "CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=m" you can improve power management as well. Although this doesn't correct the problem with some computers calculating percentage to fully discharged/charged, it DOES improve the following:

AC detection by NVidia graphics (at least with the G105M)
    Better (more agressive) power-saving when on battery power (I'm not sure what subsystem is responsible for this -- perhaps "laptop mode?")

Attached are my config changes. Of course, my CPU dependent settings are probably not appropriate for general distribution.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans

Talking Re: Atten: Starling owners | karmic koala upgrade information

Just throwing my bit in - I reinstalled 9.10 and then followed jsimmond's tutorial before doing any other updates or anything... and it works! Thanks again, jsimmond!

Beans

Someone should alter the page at http://knowledge76.com/index.php/KarmicUpgrade so that it reflects the current upgrade-not-recommended status.

This morning I decided to finally perform the upgrade and followed the instructions on that page and only when I ran into problems did I discover this discussion and the recommendation that the upgrade NOT be performed. Would that I'd had that information about 4 hours ago.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast