Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Qualcomm HS-USB-9212 in Acer Aspire One--No connection

Beans

Re: Qualcomm HS-USB-9212 in Acer Aspire One--No connection

Quote Originally Posted by jamere View Post
    Jesse, what model netbook do you have and how are you making connection in 9.10? What did you try in 10.04?
    Hi,

I have a Verizon Wireless Gateway LT2016U NetBook.

On Ubuntu 9.10, I did the following to get Qualcomm 9212 3G modem working:
    Code:
    Desktop/NetBookModem3g/gobi_loader /dev/ttyUSB0 Desktop/NetBookModem3g/firmware
    sudo kill $(pgrep modem)
    sudo /usr/sbin/modem-manager
    The above works 100% of the time on Ubuntu 9.10 to initialize the 3g modem (no reboot required).
    But, when I try the above on Ubuntu 10.04 RC, Gobi Loader hangs (runs without ending).

So, we must now wait for either Ubuntu staff or Gobi Loader programmer (or both) to provide an update.
    Until then I will be using Ubuntu 9.10 on my netbook...

Jesse

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for the info.

Code:
    Desktop/NetBookModem3g/gobi_loader /dev/ttyUSB0 Desktop/NetBookModem3g/firmware
    sudo kill $(pgrep modem)
    According to Chiapo, the gobi firmware is now being loaded by module 'qcserial'. I took the firmware loader statement out of my script and it worked fine. Maybe you could remove your first statement above and try again under 10.04 to see what it does?

Questions:
    does the first sudo above kill pgrep and modem processes?
    does the second sudo start modem-manager?

I may give your two sudo statements a try in my script, but would kind of like to know what they're doing first.

I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

Thanks again for the info and let us know how you come out fiddling with 10.04.
    Jim M
    USA
    Acer Aspire One - ZG8 (530)

Beans

Hi,

I gave up earlier and reinstalled Linux Mint 8 so I would have access to the 3g modem in the netbook.

(reinstall took about 3 hours)

So your Qualcomm 9212 3g modem works ok on Ubuntu 10.04 Release Candidate?

Can you provide a URL link to proper instructions on how I would set this up on Ubuntu 10.04?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sudo kill $(pgrep modem)
    - Stops modem manager

- Starts modem manager
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kind of don't want to spend time reinstalling an OS to my netbook.
    Maybe with proper instructions I will try again on Thursday when 10.04 goes Final...

Thanks!

Jesse

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi,

So your Qualcomm 9212 3g modem works ok on Ubuntu 10.04 Release Candidate?
    Can you provide a URL link to proper instructions on how I would set this up on Ubuntu 10.04?
    No, I haven't installed 10.04. I was waiting for final release of 10.04 when I saw your post that the Qualcomm 9212 3g modem problem still exists with 10.04 RC. Big disappointment, as I was hoping for a fix in 10.04.

Kind of don't want to spend time reinstalling an OS to my netbook.
    Maybe with proper instructions I will try again on Thursday when 10.04 goes Final...
    I understand... let us know here how you come out with 10.04 final. Don't think I'll get my hopes up for a fix in 10.04.

Thanks again for your info and perseverance.
    Jim M
    USA

Beans

Hmmm... I assumed a fix was imminent.

I haven't got around to downloading the lucid ISO yet, as everything is working smoothly in karmic.

I've been getting 100% success connecting when I make sure the modem is powered off prior to shut-down & I wait until after the OS loads to manually switch the modem on.
    No need for a reboot, no need to run the reset script.

One thing I've made sure of is having 2 or 3 identical mobile broadband connections in Network Manager, & have the IPv4 settings set to PPP (Addresses only) For DNS I've been using OpenDNS primary & secondary, separated by a comma.
    Code:
    208.67.220.220, 208.67.222.222
    I might try an in place upgrade to lucid on my test partition, but might have to wait until I get back into town. (slow 3g at my cabin up in the mountains)
    "640 K should be plenty of RAM for anybody..."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Chiapo,

Hmmm... I assumed a fix was imminent.
    Yeah, so did I (but I really knew better).

I haven't got around to downloading the lucid ISO yet, as everything is working smoothly in karmic.
    Looking forward to see how you do with Karmic. May try messing with it myself before long, but don't want mess up what I have with Karmic. I can at least log on with out too much hassle. Still can't see a relationship with 3G switch flipping on my AAO.

Considering my hassles with GRUB2 (doesn't recognize new kernel and won't remove old kernels from boot menu) and this Qualcomm modem problem, Windoze is becoming an alternative again, although a BAD one. Thinking about calling my old buddy Mark Shuttleworth to let him know about these problems! Developers seem to be ignoring these two critical issues.

Chiapo, have you considered tossing your netbook and smart phone and just enjoying your surroundings there in Hawaii?
    Jim M
    USA

Beans

I just finished installing xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx on my netbook. Now I have 3 xubuntu partitions.

3g connection is automatic, with subsequent signal events resulting in a momentary loss of connection, followed by reacquisition of 3g connection without any user input.

I like being connected too much to get rid of my electronics!

So far, I'm happy with Lucid Lynx! Great job Dev Crew!

Aloha Jim, best wishes to you & yours!

Beans

A cold boot into Lucid resulted in zero 3g connectivity.
    Restarted to my test partition(karmic) & was unable to revive the modem.
    Cold bootedinto my primary xubuntu installation & 3g connection was automatic.
    Restarted into Lucid & 3g connected automatically.

It appears we may need to install the gobi_loader with appropriate firmware, but I'll need to inquire further as to the absence or presence of gobi_loader.

Beans

hey all, i am VERY new to the world of ubuntu, and have to say with the exception of a few little frustrations, i have really liked it. One problem that i have been having was with my dell 1557 studio (thats for another day), but i to have been having to problem with my 3g modem. I am running ubuntu 10.04 with every update possible (I think). I have noticed that when i boot into windows XP and connect, then reboot into ubuntu i can connect until i reboot again of close the lid on my laptop. any way, just wanted to introduce myself. I will be keeping an eye on the forum to see what everyone comes up with, and if by some stroke of miracle i come across something i will throw it up in a hurry.....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Chiapo,

Did you REALLY have to attach photo of palm tree? geez...location envy continues.

klab233: Welcome aboard...now you can share in our frustrations with Qualcomm modem saga.

A cold boot into Lucid resulted in zero 3g connectivity.
    Restarted to my test partition(karmic) & was unable to revive the modem.
    Chiapo you really had my hopes up there for a second. Did you do a "lsusb" to see if the modem model number changed from 9211 to 9212? I think the loader worked (firmware loaded) if the model changed to 9212. I down loaded the 10.04 Desktop ISO but haven't done anything with it yet. Do you know what the kernel number is for Xubuntu 10.04? Wonder if the same kernel is used in 10.04 Desktop?

Dang...looks like modem problems continue.
    Jim M
    USA

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast