Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Desktop

Beans

Re: Desktop

ok, I received an error with the gconf-editor. yes there are icon on the desktop, a couple of files that I have downloaded but haven't deleted yet.

The "never prompt or start applications on media insertion" was checked. I just un checked it to make it more readable. I see something else is going on. after I chaptered a screen shot, I saved it to my desktop. However, it does not show up on the desktop but I can find it thru the places<desktop folder. <screen shot attached>
    [IMG]file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///tmp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Ok, what's the error you get when you attempt to run gconf-editor?

The drive is being mounted, so we just need to get it to display an icon for the drive on the desktop, which we do through gconf-editor. I thought the issue was setting up autoplay or something similar, so you can ignore most of what I said in my first few posts.

Beans

the error

scott@was:~$ /apps/nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible
    bash: /apps/nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible: No such file or directory
    scott@was:~$

should I remover thunar? I started to, but it seams to be well integrated into the sys. I can remove thunar and thunar-volman, but it tells me this will only remove two of 30 files.

I mean if nautilus is there as the file manager, should I get ride or thunar?

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, I suppose I could have been more clear run gconf-editor from the terminal, then browse through the tree to the location "/apps/nautilus/desktop/" and check the box "volumes_visible".

If you previously had to install thunar then you can remove it without fear of breaking your system, however there is no need to, and I find it sometimes convenient to have around, it's a sort of trimmed down version of nautilus.

Beans

ok, this is looking interesting. seams like lots of choices, but i don't see what I think we are looking for . do you? also, I noticed a number of items under the desktop-metadata that look like previously plugged in devices or cards. should this be keeping a record or is this left over from the device being removed improperly? see attached image
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

In your attached screenshot, see on the right hand side of the image, there is a checkbox with "volumes_visible" in the name column, and an empty checkbox on the right hand side, check it.

Beans

AH HA, Ok thanks very much HWTTDZ. I found it.

Beans

Talking Re: Desktop

I was sitting here staring strait at that volume visible block and it just hit me. that's it. I know it can be a pain trying to when that person is not quite up to speed, so I really appreciate the help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12