Thread: Firefox new tab = Screen flickers

Beans

Firefox new tab = Screen flickers

I have an issue where opening a new tab in Firefox cause the screen to black out for a split second - or, to put it another way, the screen flickers once and then works normally.

It only does it when there's no other tabs open, and I suspect it has something to do with drawing of the tab bar (which I have set to disappear when only the main window is open). It does also do it when I close the last tab and the bar disappears.

I have Firefox 3.5.5, and am running Karmic with all current updates.
    I switched to Windows because of all the disappointment Linux brought me.

Beans

Re: Firefox new tab = Screen flickers

Did you find a solution?

I'm not sure if it's the same problem but I'm also experiencing the same split-second "flickers" occasionally when I open a new tab. It's not a big deal but it is a little annoying.

I have a fresh install of Kubuntu Karmic with Firefox 3.5.5.

Beans

Update your Video driver.

I had similar problem in Windows.

fixing the driver version did the trick

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by roharme View Post
    Update your Video driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit/zero View Post
    I have Firefox 3.5.5, and am running Karmic with all current updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by londy View Post
    Did you find a solution?

I'm not sure if it's the same problem but I'm also experiencing the same split-second "flickers" occasionally when I open a new tab. It's not a big deal but it is a little annoying.

I have a fresh install of Kubuntu Karmic with Firefox 3.5.5.
    Nope. Haven't yet found a solution.

One thing I have noticed is that the full-screen flicker only happens when the FF window is maximized. If FF isn't maximized, and FF is whatever random sized, the flicker is contained within the FF window.

That's what leads me to believe, roharme, that it's not necessarily a driver issue since the issue is application specific - only FF does this, not even other apps that I run fullscreen and use tabs, like gedit for example.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Haven't read this through, but it might have something for you:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567

Beans

Holy cow! That's a big post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I have this problem too. I had it differently in older versions and fixed it with some kind of change to bookmarks of all things. I don't remember what it was. But now it seems to happen when opening a new tab, possibly only tabs for which FireFox shows a message above, such as "remember this password?" or "prevented a popup." If I switch to another tab and switch back it is usually OK until I open another tab... or dismiss the above-message.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aperomsik View Post
    I have this problem too. I had it differently in older versions and fixed it with some kind of change to bookmarks of all things. I don't remember what it was. But now it seems to happen when opening a new tab, possibly only tabs for which FireFox shows a message above, such as "remember this password?" or "prevented a popup." If I switch to another tab and switch back it is usually OK until I open another tab... or dismiss the above-message.
    I don't see it in relation to the drop-down notifications in the FF window - quite the contrary, for me, those work nicely.

For me, what I'm talking about is either opening the first new tab or getting rid of the second-to-last tab, which causes either the appearance or disappearance of the tab bar. Because vertical real estate is at a premium on laptops, I don't care to have the tab bar there when I don't have multiple tabs open. Every time the tab bar comes or goes, the inside of my FF window blinks out and back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by detroit/zero View Post
    For me, what I'm talking about is either opening the first new tab or getting rid of the second-to-last tab, which causes either the appearance or disappearance of the tab bar.
    I almost never have only one tab open. On my work machine (running FF3.5 for Solaris) I have 36 tabs open at the moment. But anyway, by any chance do you have the FireBug add-on installed? I just noticed that if I hit F12 to summon or dismiss the FireBug panel, that tab flickers until I switch to another tab and switch back.

Does switching to the other tab and switching back help you? If not I guess the two flickers are unrelated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aperomsik View Post
    But anyway, by any chance do you have the FireBug add-on installed?
    [...]
    Does switching to the other tab and switching back help you? If not I guess the two flickers are unrelated.
    Nope, no firebug here. My add-ons are pretty slim: NoSquint, TabScope, Customize Google, and that's about it.