Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Canon Pixma MP550 - how to?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Canon Pixma MP550 - how to?

Hello,

Just to note that I've updated my first comment here by adding a tips for Ubuntu Natty 11.04 users! (It seems the packages has to be rebuilded... don't hesitate to report this bug to Canon developpers!)

Beans

Thanks a lot.
    It worked fine

Beans

There is a great repository for the canon pixma multi-devices. Look at the ubuntu tweak page.

Beans

I've got a Pixma 560 finally working on Natty 64 bits, and I wanted to share how I did it.

It seems that the Canon-supplied drivers have bad dependency metadata which makes it so that they won't install easily under 64 bits, and there's a bug in Natty's dpkg that makes --force-depends not work properly. Fortunately, the bug has been fixed in the next version of dpkg. Unfortunately, the next version hasn't been applied to Natty yet. So here's what you need to do:

1. Add the line
    Code:
    deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu oneiric main
    to your /etc/apt/sources.list

2. Run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    DO NOT APT-GET UPGRADE. I don't know what it'll do, but you may end up reverting a good chunk of your system's packages manually.

3. Run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install dpkg
    4. Go into Synaptic (System-Administration-Synaptic Package Manager), search for dpkg. Select dpkg.

5. Under "Package," choose "Lock Version."

6. Remove or comment out the oneiric line from your /etc/apt/sources.list

7. Run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    again.

8. In the install.sh script from the Canon drivers, change
    Code:
    dpkg -iG
    to
    Code:
    dpkg -iG --force-all
    9 Run the install.sh script.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

A tip for printing envelopes:-

Check that the corners aren't curling. Envelopes go in the rear tray, face up with the short edge at the top and the flap (the Canon web site says you're not allowed to use envelopes with two flaps) on the right. When you've done it, it looks like it's standing tall.

[ I kept putting an envelope in the rear tray with the long edge at the bottom and became quite frustrated when the printer kept spewing it out with nothing printed on it. ]
    Last edited by Catbells; May 13th, 2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: corrected info and a typo

Beans

you can copy the ppd file that comes with turboprint 30 day trial. http://www.turboprint.info/
    go to /usr/share/turboprint/ppd/
    There are many printer configurations. The one for Canon Pixma MP550 is /usr/share/turboprint/ppd/Canon_PIXMA_MP550.ppd
    Last edited by kokolores; October 24th, 2011 at 01:19 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234