Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon Pixma MP550 - how to?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

[Solved]Canon Pixma MP550 - how to?

Well, that's about it, is there a way to get it going on?

I don't have it, my father has it and I'm not able to "take care of it" at the moment, soon. Any solutions how to manage it, printing and scan?
    Last edited by uhappo; May 16th, 2010 at 04:47 PM.
    My PC
    Ubuntu user from 18.2.2008
    Oh, my studio and my band

Beans
    Distro

Re: Canon Pixma MP550 - how to?

Haven't tried it yet, but goosh batman, there seems to be some light ahead...

http://support-au.canon.com.au/EN/se...&menu=Download
    My PC

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Canon Pixma MP550 - how to?

Hello !

I don't know if you've resolved your problem but this is what I've done on computers (32/64bits) which use my new Canon Pixma MP550 : (hope it can also help other people )
    1. Firstly, download drivers from Canon Australian website : for the printer and the scanner (drivers for the scanner are now a bit useless because you can directly use the scanner with Simple Scan, GScan2PDF, Xsane, etc.).
    2. Extract these two tarballs (e.g. in your 'Home' folder)
    3. Install it :
      • For 32bits (most people): simply use gdebi (double-click on all deb files) but start with the deb file which has 'common' in its name.
        If you're using Ubuntu Natty (11.04) or newer, you've to force the installation of these packages because there are a bit old... Simply open a terminal, go to the repertory of deb files and launch the dpkg command:
        Code:
         cd cnijfilter-mp550series-3.20-1-i386-deb/packages/
         sudo dpkg --force-architecture --force-depends --force-depends-version -i cnijfilter-*.deb
        (you've to write your password, it's invisible )
        Then install all dependences with this command:
        Code:
         sudo apt-get install libc6 libcups2 libpopt0 libatk1.0-0 libcairo2 libfontconfig1 libglib2.0-0 libgtk2.0-0 libpango1.0-0 libpng12-0 libtiff4 libx11-6 libxcursor1 libxext6 libxfixes3 libxi6 libxinerama1 libxml2 libxrandr2 libxrender1
      • For 64bits: you've to force the installation (I've tested and it works perfectly ):
        • Open a terminal, go to the repertory of deb files and force the installation :
          Code:
           cd cnijfilter-mp550series-3.20-1-i386-deb/packages/
           sudo dpkg --force-architecture --force-depends --force-depends-version -i cnijfilter-*.deb
        • For scangears :
          Code:
           cd ../../scangearmp-mp550series-1.40-1-i386-deb/packages/
           sudo dpkg --force-architecture --force-depends --force-depends-version -i scangearmp-*.deb
        • Donwload and install GetLibs in order to add some 32bits dependences: GetLibs (simply double click on the file in order to install it !)
        • Use GetLibs for scangears:
          Code:
          getlibs /usr/bin/scangearmp
        • I don't remember if it needs some others dependences but you can use this command:
          Code:
           sudo apt-get install libc6 libcups2 libpopt0 libatk1.0-0 libcairo2 libfontconfig1 libglib2.0-0 libgtk2.0-0 libpango1.0-0 libpng12-0 libtiff4 libx11-6 libxcursor1 libxext6 libxfixes3 libxi6 libxinerama1 libxml2 libxrandr2 libxrender1

Now you should connect your printer but it can be interesting to change some things for the better parameters:
    • Edit this file : /usr/share/cups/model/canonmp550.ppd with an editor with root right, e.g.
      Code:
       sudo gedit /usr/share/cups/model/canonmp550.ppd
    • Add these lines at the end of the file for having some options about the quality and the grayscale :
      Code:
      *OpenUI *CNQuality/Quality: PickOne
      *DefaultCNQuality: 3
      *CNQuality 2/High: "2"
      *CNQuality 3/Normal: "3"
      *CNQuality 4/Standard: "4"
      *CloseUI: *CNQuality

*OpenUI *CNGrayscale/Grayscale: PickOne
      *DefaultCNGrayscale: false
      *CNGrayscale false/Off: "false"
      *CNGrayscale true/On: "true"
      *CloseUI: *CNGrayscale
    • If you want more resolution choices, replace :
      Code:
      *OpenUI *Resolution/Output Resolution: PickOne
      *DefaultResolution: 600dpi
      *Resolution 600dpi/600 dpi: "«/HWResolution[600 600]»setpagedevice"
      *CloseUI: *Resolution
      by
      Code:
      *OpenUI *Resolution/Output Resolution: PickOne
      *DefaultResolution: 600dpi
      *Resolution 300dpi/300 dpi: "«/HWResolution[300 300]»setpagedevice"
      *Resolution 600dpi/600 dpi: "«/HWResolution[600 600]»setpagedevice"
      *CloseUI: *Resolution
    • You can now restart Cups:
      • For Karmic/Lucid
        Code:
         sudo service cups restart
      • For Jaunty/Intrepid
        Code:
        sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart
      • For Hardy
        Code:
        sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart
    • Simply plug the USB connector of your printer. A new window will be displayed. If not, go to System -> Adminitration -> Printers and add a new printer with Canon MP550 series Ver.3.20 drivers (or with the path of this ppd file : /usr/share/cups/model/canonmp550.ppd).
    • (If you had already installed your printer and you change the .ppd file, you've to 'reinstall' your printer by removing it and adding it in System -> Adminitration -> Printers)

About the scanner
    • You can use scangear (a tool of Canon) that you can launch with scangearmp (use Alt+F2 shortkey )
    • But you can also sane (e.g. with simple scan, xsane or the excellent gscan2pdf) but you have to use the latest version of sane-backends (installed by default in Ubuntu Natty 11.04 (and Maverick?))

I hope it can help you an other people
    Last edited by matttbe; May 10th, 2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Tips for Natty users

Beans
    Distro

YEAH!

Great info, some new things for me. But..

But the ability to use sane/xsane is top notch thingy, YEAH!
    My PC

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Canon Pixma MP550 - how to?

Quote Originally Posted by matttbe View Post
    Hello !

I don't know if you've resolved your problem but this is what I've done on computers (32/64bits) which use my new Canon Pixma MP550 : (hope it can also help other people )

<big snip>

I hope it can help you an other people
    Thank you very much matttbe

The printer drivers worked a treat, right out of the box, to an MP550 shared on a networked Win XP box.

My PC is:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.18) Gecko/2010021501 Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Firefox/3.0.18

I haven't worked out how to connect to the scanner remotely, more surfing required

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You saved me a lot of time searching and tweaking, thank you! One more question though. Do you know whether or not it is possible to enable direct scanning from the device?
    Last edited by HandleWithCare; March 6th, 2010 at 12:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by HandleWithCare View Post
    One more question though. Do you know whether or not it is possible to enable direct scanning from the device?
    Yes I think it's possible if you install a newer version of sane-backend. Look at the end of my previous post
    I know that you can change something about buttons with gscan2pdf but I can't test right now.

If you find something about that, please share this information, it can be useful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have found that you can use the buttons for scanning to get multipage scanning (see here: http://mp610.blogspot.com/2007/12/mu...ing-mp610.html) but so far no luck on automatic scanning, so without having to open xsane for example.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, when I try to print a photo on glossy II paper, nothing happens. That is, the job is "processing" and also the lcd on the printer shows "preparing" but in the end nothing happens? Any clues?
    Btw, no luck on the buttons so far.

Beans

Hi there,

I am completely new to Ubuntu and would like to know how to force the installation of the two files, the Scangear and the printer driver. I got the files in a folder on my desktop but when I copy your code into the terminal it says wrong path, I don't know how to get to the folder with the files.

Can you guys help me please?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast