Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I made a script to set up Arch

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I made a script to set up Arch

I made a script that sets up Arch Linux to a basic openbox setup from a base install, and thought I'd share it.

I mainly made it cause I was bored the other day and needed something to do, but I also plan on using it on my desktop when I reinstall because I've sorta got a ton of clutter on it and reinstalling is an easy way to get rid of it.

Basically to use it what you do is, install Arch, but don't make a user account or anything, and then get the script on there via the internet or a flash drive, make sure you have a working internet connection, and at least one pacman server uncommented, and then run,

Code:
    chmod +x /location/of/script.sh
    and then
    ./script.sh
    And then you'll be asked a few questions but for the most part it does things automatically.

And you'll probably have to either modify the script to install your video driver or do it after it's done since it only installs the generic vesa driver.

So yeah that's about it. The script and screenshots are attached, feel free to comment, make a suggestion, ask a question or use the script if you like.

Oh and for anyone wondering why I didn't post this on an Arch forum, it's because, well... I'm not a member there, I'm already a member here, and there's a lot of Arch users here too lol. But if anyone wants too they can post it over there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by thegreenblob; November 29th, 2009 at 06:35 PM.
    Desktop | Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz | 320GB + 640GB HDD | 4GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Dell Mini 9 | Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6GHz | 16GB SSD + 16GB SD Card | 2GB RAM | 1.3MP Cam + Bluetooth | Intel GMA 950

Beans

Re: I made a script to set up Arch

Quote Originally Posted by thegreenblob View Post
    I made a script that sets up Arch Linux to a basic openbox setup from a base install, and thought I'd share it.

I mainly made it cause I was bored the other day and needed something to do, but I also plan on using it on my desktop when I reinstall because I've sorta got a ton of clutter on it and reinstalling is an easy way to get rid of it.

Basically to use it what you do is, install Arch, but don't make a user account or anything, and then get the script on there via the internet or a flash drive, make sure you have a working internet connection, and at least one pacman server uncommented, and then run,

Code:
    chmod +x /location/of/script.sh
    and then
    ./script.sh
    And then you'll be asked a few questions but for the most part it does things automatically.

And you'll probably have to either modify the script to install your video driver or do it after it's done since it only installs the generic vesa driver.

So yeah that's about it. The script and screenshots are attached, feel free to comment, make a suggestion, ask a question or use the script if you like.

Oh and for anyone wondering why I didn't post this on an Arch forum, it's because, well... I'm not a member there, I'm already a member here, and there's a lot of Arch users here too lol. But if anyone wants too they can post it over there.
    i havnt got time to test the install tonight, but somtime tomorrow i will give it a go in a virtual pc, sounds good. i have got a working arch already but this sounds like it would be usefull.
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Very nice! I will give it a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Looks good, but how would I get it into my Arch system so I could run it? wget it from somewhere or off a USB or something?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sealbhach View Post
    Looks good, but how would I get it into my Arch system so I could run it? wget it from somewhere or off a USB or something?

i do all my installs from a usb stick, so i was just gona stick the script on the usb drive with the rest of the install files.
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Yeah, a flash drive, wgetting from somewhere, external hard drive, using ssh/sftp to get it off another machine, etc. Plenty of ways.
    Desktop | Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz | 320GB + 640GB HDD | 4GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Dell Mini 9 | Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6GHz | 16GB SSD + 16GB SD Card | 2GB RAM | 1.3MP Cam + Bluetooth | Intel GMA 950

Beans
    Hidden!

Do you format all the partitions when are doing a fresh install?
    Last edited by sisco311; November 18th, 2009 at 01:20 AM.

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by -grubby View Post
    Ah, nice. Now people can just wget it.

Thanks for hosting it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by sisco311 View Post
    Do you format all the partitions when are doing a fresh install?
    No, usually just / and use /home but not format it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast