Thread: Is there a full Backup possible?

Beans

Is there a full Backup possible?

Hi,

Is there a way to "save" all already installed programs/hardware configurations/etc in a form of a "backup" which can be used in case of a failure and complete re-install of Ubuntu? I know about the copy/paste of the /home folder, but that does not include configurations or programs.

Im not being "negative", but since I am new to Ubuntu I can do mistakes - and if I have to re-install completely, it will be lovely if I can restore all my settings and programs through such backup, if possible.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Is there a full Backup possible?

To back up your OS including added software, you may wish to explore Remastersys and I found this website very useful.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/remastersys.html

To back up your data including hidden files in your home directory, I would suggest you explore Grsync available via Synaptic

Kind regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm new to Ubuntu myself and I am looking forward to see what experienced users are going to say on this topic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is an excellent talk about backups and restoring over this way --> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=35087

I use the script myself, although thankfully, never had to restore

Regards,

Phill.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Remastersys is wonderful. It is simple and almost "dummy proof".

Just keep in mind that it will not make an ISO larger than will fit on a single layer DVD, a bit over 4 gigs.

In my case, I had to separately back up my personal non-hidden files in my home directory, which alone were well over 4 gigs. Then I deleted my personal files from home and then proceed with my Remastersys backup.

A huge advantage of Remastersys is that I am now fearlessly bold to experiment with my system. If worse comes to worst, I just reinstall my "perfect" system.
    Last edited by booksnmore4you; November 17th, 2009 at 07:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You'll need an ext3 filesystem that's as big as your system.

I will assume that you mounted this second drive at /mnt

Code:
    sudo tar -cPjf /mnt/backup.tar.bzip2 /

That will back up *everything*.

To restore, perform a normal reinstall, mount that extra backup drive on /mnt and enter:

Code:
    cd /
    tar xjf /mnt/backup.tar.bzip2
    sudo grub-install `grep hd0 /boot/grub/device.map | tail -1 | awk '{ print $2 }'`
    sync;sync
    sudo reboot --force
    That will put you right back where you were when you ran the backup. Even the grub menu will be the same.
    Last edited by Giblet5; November 17th, 2009 at 07:49 PM.
    sı ɯǝ1qoɹd ɹnoʎ ʇɐɥʍ ǝǝs ı ʞuıɥʇ ı

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Is there a full Backup possibl e?

I'm a fan of partimage Its got a old style text based n-cursors interface.

Howto: Backup with Partimage - Ubuntu Forums

I use it to backup before making major changes (like upgrading from Jaunty to Karmic). And from experience It will restore your system to state it was in when you took the backup.

Unfortunately looks like I'm going to have to find something else. partimage does not support ext4. Going to take a look at FSArchiver.
    Last edited by louieb; November 17th, 2009 at 08:57 PM.
    UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
    SystemRescueCd | Dual Boot | psychocats | FAQ