Thread: trash and delete

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

trash and delete

It took hours to learn that there is no recycle bin in OpenOffice.Org and that delete and trash are not the same thing in Ubuntu. However, the delete button always comes up when I right click files and folders and out of habit I click it and the material, of course, is gone forever. I have not checked the box at Places, Home Folder, Edit, Preferences, Behavior, Include a delete command that bypasses Trash but the delete button rather than the trash button comes up anyway almost everywhere. How can I make the delete button go away and leave only a trash button?

Might this have anything to do with a "partial upgrade" that Update Manager gave me to Ubuntu 9.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: trash and delete

You should never do partial updates/upgrades.

Only thing I can raelly suggest would be a fresh install with a 9.10 livecd to make sure everything gets installed properly.
    Remember, google works magic
    osalt.com Great place to look for opensource alternatives
    If it is solved, remember to mark the thread as solved using thread tools at the top right

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

So I'll know for the future: update/upgrade manager told me it was going to do a partial upgrade.

1. Could I have canceled that and forced the manager to do a complete upgrade/update?
    2. The sole occupant of System Tools in Applications on the panel is Akonadi Console. I see from other threads that is fine, a necessary app. Correct?
    3. The Main Menu in System Preferences shows that Programming and Debian are not loaded (their buttons are blank). Pardon my ignorance, but is that correct?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

1. I couldn't do an upgrade with update manager, but the alternate cd had an executable that started the upgrade process for me with the files on the disc and gave me an option to use the network for up to date packages.

2. Not completely sure I will google and see what I find.

Are you using KDE, Gnome, XFCE, LXDE?

3. I'm not completely sure what you mean by "Main Menu in System Preferences, but I will look around and see if I can get an answer regardless.

I am a long time Windows user (technician for around 6-7 years) and even though I have been using linux for some time, I am just now getting around to understanding how everything works like I do in Windows.
    Last edited by skatinjj; November 19th, 2009 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Typing errors
    If it is solved, remember to mark the thread as solved using thread tools at the top right

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Looks to me that Akonadi Console is necessary to have for your personal information such as mail and addressbooks.

Still not sure about "Main Menu in System Preferences" and your programming and debian buttons, but my opinion is that it isn't correct.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I appreciate your help.

2. I am using Gnome 2.28.1 (more accurately it is using me; I used Win for many years and have just shifted to Ubuntu, Open Office, etc.). Is it proper for me to ask what you mean by googling for an answer or is this hijacking, bumping or something or other illegal to the thread? I thought the major forums and guides on Ubuntu were listed on this forum or under the Help menu.

3. If you click on System in the top panel, then hover over Preferences and click on Main Menu, you get I believe, the programs loaded into Preferences and Administration.