Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for feedback from 9.10/0.22 users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Looking for feedback from 9.10/0.22 users

I am contemplating to upgrade (clean install) to 9.10/0.22 and am looking for some feedback from people that are using 9.10/0.22.

I'm currently running mythbuntu 9.04 with the avenard repos (which is obviously using mythtv 0.21), thus already using VDPAU (well, sort of, there are a few problems, but that's a different story).

I've done a fair bit of customisation, so an upgrade is a bit of work for me.

After reading the release notes and various comments on different forums I am wondering: is it worth it ?

Any major new functionalities ?
    Any major improvements that are too good to be missed ?

Thanks for any feedback.
    Lucid Lynx 10.04 on a Lenovo Thinkpad R61i
    Arch frontend/backend
    Arch frontend
    Yay North Adelaide Ultimate !!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Looking for feedback from 9.10/0.22 users

What kind of a TV card do you have?

I have IPTV (network recorder) and 9.10 does not work at all.

Both coming off a working 9.04 and from a clean install.

Menus are pretty, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm running two Leadtek tuner cards, which I know work fine under 9.10
    Arch frontend/backend
    Arch frontend

Beans

8.10 and 9.04 ran very well on an older Dell Optiplex with 2.2ghz cpu, though not fast enough, as expected, to do HD. recently picked up a new (used) HP with 3.6 ghz cpu hoping to do HD. as the new machine's arrival coincided with the release of 9.10, I went ahead and setup the box with 9.10/.22 before pulling the tuners from the old machine.

things installed and ran well. . . . looked beautiful in fact, i was getting psyched to check out the new guis. but, after swapping in the tuner cards (hauppauge 1600 & 150) i found the channel scanner wouldn't work. the 1600's analog side scanned to channel 16 and would go no further, the digital tuner would not find any channels, just a bunch of "timed out" msgs. i don't recall how the 150 scanned.

not sure whether to blame the new hardware, 9.10, or myth .22, i tried installing 9.04 and upgrading myth to .22 - same problem. then tried 9.10/.22 on the old box - same problem.

ultimately i just put 9.04/.21 on the new box and it works. so that's where i'll stay for now.

john

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Interesting.

So far I have to say I haven't found any compelling reasons to upgrade. Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't heard of any major new functionality or improvement that makes me want to go through the troubles.
    Arch frontend/backend
    Arch frontend

Beans

I just received my CD today. I was trying to run it on my Windows PC to see what it looked like and then make a memory stick of it to use for my eee pc 900. I did this with the earlier version 8.10 ??? When when I tried to run it on my pc it comes up and says something like "no video----). This is in the demo/install mode. But it happened in other modes also.

I will try to run the cd on my eee pc with my optical drive and see what happens.

Thanks,
    Bobby

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by laffinet View Post
    Interesting.

So far I have to say I haven't found any compelling reasons to upgrade. Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't heard of any major new functionality or improvement that makes me want to go through the troubles.
    And now, I'll give you a reason *not* to upgrade.

Bug #453444: It's nasty.

Causes your /var/log/kern.log and /var/log messages to get filled w/ messages about CPU normal temp/CPU over temp, over and over again. Filled my 80GB root partition in about a day.

Worse, it'll peg your CPU at or near 100%, and it will suck up your I/O bandwidth, and you won't be able to watch a web video or do any mythtv recording playback w/o lots of choppiness audio dropping, etc. I've worked up a simple little workaround, but, till this is permanently fixed, I can't, in good conscience, recommend 9.10.

You have been warned.

-Mark

Beans

Are you talking about me with my Eee PC or answering someone else??? I am currently using Xandros with the easy desktop.

Are you saying that 9.10 is no good???

Thanks,
    Bobby

Beans
    Distro

Regarding that bug, here's a very temporary workaround, that should be ok till the proper fix is available in Karmic.

The following is a copy of what I posted in the bug report:
    Hi all,

This bug has been a real pain in my backside. I think I have a reasonable, short-term workaround. I'm *not* suggesting this is a permanent fix for anyone, nor should this be applied to any source trees anywhere.

This is strictly for someone who, like me, is suffering because of this, and wants a slightly better solution than simply killing off logging systemwide till a proper patch is available.

Here's my hack:
    --- /etc/init/rsyslog-kmsg.conf.orig 2009-11-17 01:40:07.000000000 -0500
    +++ /etc/init/rsyslog-kmsg.conf 2009-11-17 01:42:36.000000000 -0500
    @@ -18,7 +18,7 @@
    chown syslog:syslog /var/run/rsyslog/kmsg
    end script

-exec dd bs=1 if=/proc/kmsg of=/var/run/rsyslog/kmsg
    +exec dd bs=1 if=`grep -v "CPU[0-7]: Temperature" /proc/kmsg` of=/var/run/rsyslog/kmsg

post-stop script
    rm /var/run/rsyslog/kmsg

Or, for people who don't like dealing w/ patch files, go to /etc/init, make a copy of rsyslog-kmsg.conf. Then, edit rsyslog-kmsg.conf, find the line near the end of the file that looks like:
    dd bs=1 if=/proc/kmsg of=/var/run/rsyslog/kmsg

and replace it with:
    exec dd bs=1 if=`grep -v "CPU[0-7]: Temperature" /proc/kmsg` of=/var/run/rsyslog/kmsg

So, all this does is filter out *all* warnings referring to CPU temperature fluctuations (for boxes up to 8 CPUs). Don't look at me if you don't see the warnings and end up flaming out your CPU.

Hope this helps someone until such time that a proper fix is available.

-Mark

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rootytooty View Post
    Are you talking about me with my Eee PC or answering someone else??? I am currently using Xandros with the easy desktop.

Are you saying that 9.10 is no good???

Thanks,
    Bobby
    No, actually, I was replying to laffinet. But, my point is, there is a well-known bug, that can be fairly debilitating. I'm saying that it's probably a good idea to wait on installing 9.10, till this bug is resolved. Saying "9.10 is no good" is just a *bit* of an overstatement and oversimplification.

Other than this bug, for which I've now got a temporary workaround in place, 9.10 seems to be a fine distribution. It's unfortunate that this bug came up in the 9.10 release, but it will get resolved soon, and all will be well. Till then, don't run 9.10, or implement my workaround.

Hope that helps,

-Mark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast