Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network Manager Applet missing from Notification Area

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Network Manager Applet missing from Notification Area

Hi all,

I don't know why this would happen but when I created a new user account in 9.10 it did not have all the icons I would usually expect to see in the Notification area. In fact, the only icon in the Notification Area is the Sound Preferences applet. The other user account has both this icon and the NetworkManager applet.

I've tried removing and readding the Notification Area and this has not worked. I've tried adding nm-applet to the panel but this did not work either. I'm not really sure what to do next. Any ideas how I can get this to appear?

Beans

Re: Network Manager Applet missing from Notification Area

I'd be interested to hear a solve to this problem, as my girlfriend has NetworkManager Applet missing from the Notification area, and neither of us have any idea why. Applet itself is running, but it does not appear in the area. I've tried to dig out info about this, but so far nothing that would have helped.

-Logs say nothing.
    -nm-applet is running all the time, as is NetworkManager.
    -Ubuntu is 9.10 - from fresh install (not update from older).
    -Restarting either does nothing.
    -Notification Area itself seems to be working as supposed to.
    -Hardly any changes to G/UI.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Interesting, I am not having that problem. Curious, if you log in your sudo or admin account and go to System, Amin, Users & Groups. Highlight the offending user account and then click on advanced. Do the Sudo Password thing. Click User Privilege and see what is check and what isn't, are the Use Internet and Modem boxes checked? Im still pretty new to Ubuntu and Linux so don't throw beans at me If I am way off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I think NM has issues when
    1)nm-system-settings.conf says managed=false
    To solve this
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf
    and set
    Code:
    managed=true
    OR
    2)/etc/network/interfaces contain anything other than
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    To solve this comment other lines(or backup the file and edit it so that it contains only those lines)
    Should restart the machine after doing this
    Ref http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager
    Note :Always backup files before editing

Beans

I have this same problem myself. I am using 10.04 from cd. I had an icon to click on next to the volume button and now it is missing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i am also having this problem. i upgraded to lucid from 9.10 using update manager. network manager applet will load somtimes eventrually after 5 min or so, and sometimes it doesn't.

Beans
    Hidden!

It is some miunderstanding with latest distributions of ubuntu and visibility of nm-applet. My advice is this: instal through Synaptic ->gnome-netstatus-applet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm a pretty new user(since January) and had struggled with this issue in Karmic 9.10 and after browsing forums forever with nothing successfully solving my problem, gave up because I was still connecting to my home and school networks so I decided to wait for 10.04 and see if the upgrade would fix it.

It didn't and in tackling the problem again I'm running into the same issue: things that have worked for other people aren't working for me for some reason.

I had high hopes for the solution offered by dineshs after changing my nm-system-settings.conf had "managed=false" but changing it and rebooting still hasn't brought network manager back.

Also, in browsing the forums, I find that this has been a problem in several earlier versions of ubuntu before the one I got started on. I'm wondering if this is a "known bug" or if something I did or am doing is likely to have caused this problem.

Thanks for anyone trying to help on this problem in any way. This has become an interesting challenge for me to solve before I can go back to hitting wireless hot-spots around town!

::edit:: also tried the netstatus-applet install suggested above and it doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever.

Beans

Hello everybody:

I had the same problem mentioned above.
    Doing the things dineshs tells us it worked at my Ubuntu 10.4:

dineshs
    I think NM has issues when
    1)nm-system-settings.conf says managed=false
    To solve this
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf
    and set
    Code:
    managed=true

Thank you dineshs and to everybody else: don't give up

With kind regards,
    Lars

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zbyszek View Post
    It is some miunderstanding with latest distributions of ubuntu and visibility of nm-applet. My advice is this: instal through Synaptic ->gnome-netstatus-applet.
    If memory serves, the Net Status applet will only give you information regarding your connection. It won't/can't let you change networks, for example.
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast