Thread: BasKet...

Beans

BasKet...

Anyone use it? Is it a good substitute for Office OneNote? I'm considering using it for uni, but I'm afraid it might be too unstable and limited...

Beans

Re: BasKet...

Quote Originally Posted by TheNessus View Post
    Anyone use it? Is it a good substitute for Office OneNote? I'm considering using it for uni, but I'm afraid it might be too unstable and limited...
    It is the only substitute for OneNote in my opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I haven't used OneNote before because I've never needed anything beyond the simple features of something like Tomboy. (Plus I rarely use Windows/Office 2007) But I do have BasKet installed and it's been very stable for me. It has some nice features too.

The only way you can know if it's a viable alternative and fits your needs is to try it your self, explore it's features, and see if you like it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheNessus View Post

I am using Basket to implement the "getting things done" method.

I find it quite useful and stable.

However it is still in QT3, and is still being ported to KDE4. (It is very usable but looks a bit odd in KDE4)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    .. and is still being ported to KDE4. ..
    Takes a long time..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I use BasKet in the normal gnome ubuntu environment and it is very stable and quite useful for organizing notes and lots of other things. I MUCH prefer it to Tomboy.

The only thing bugging me atm is the link to pdf files brings up Gimp to view them instead of evince. One of these days I'll figure out how to change that default behavior.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

As usual, posting to the forum nearly always results in a solution...

This time I figured it out because it's so easy. Just right click the link, select the "open with" option, type in "evince" into the input field of the window that pops up, click the box indicating that's what you want the default behavior to be and ... voila!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, basket notes is my favorite note-taking app! I've tried them all on Ubuntu - and they're all pretty good but Basket Notes is a notch above the others... it offers more flexibility in note taking styles. For example, if I'm researching a problem, then I'll describe the problem, jot down all relevant sites visited and assign a note for each of the sites. Notes will include information gathered from each site and outline the attempts made to solve the problem and list the results. In a 3-column note page, I can insert relevant todo's and assign appropriate tags. This way, I can follow-up on developments. When I come back later, I can quickly pick up from where I left off...

Basket Notes is very stable and has everything I need to stay on top of the note pile...! I'm glad I have it...