Thread: No brightness notifications in Ubuntu Netbook Remix--Acer Aspire One

Beans

Unhappy No brightness notifications in Ubuntu Netbook Remix--Acer Aspire One

Hi,

I did a fresh install of Ubuntu Karmic on my Acer Aspire One (model ZG5) netbook and then installed the netbook remix packages. When I try to change the screen's brightness through the keyboard, the brightness does change, but no notification bubble comes up. Is something wrong with notify-osd in relation to the netbook remix or my particular hardware? As a note, the volume and networking notifications work.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: No brightness notifications in Ubuntu Netbook Remix--Acer Aspire One

Yeh +1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Re: No brightness notifications in Ubuntu Netbook Remix--Acer Aspire One

I'm running Ubuntu KK 9.10 desktop on the same model, and everything is working fine.
    I used UNR with Januty 9.04, it was great, but UNR with KK had lots of problems, including FireFox not able to start.
    At the end of the day, I asked my self, do I really need UNR? Desktop is just fine for me.

Beans

bwzz, just to clarify, the problem is with UNR itself? With the normal Ubuntu desktop (aka, all of the UNR packages removed) the notification problem goes away?

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: No brightness notifications in Ubuntu Netbook Remix--Acer Aspire One

Most probably yes, but I don't really know.
    UNR 9.04 was very good and stable I used it ever since it was released. I had 3 installations of UNR 9.10 1 upgrade from 9.04 and 2 fresh installations. Many problems, mainly FireFox stopped working (can't start).
    That's when I decided to go for the Desktop version, almost a month now and very happy with the system.
    The way I see it, UNR is mainly big icons of what's already there. But missing a lot of other features, like multiple desktops for example.
    The original Linpus Lite came with the device was very nice, but couldn't install my local keyboard input on it (Arabic). And it also limited the amount of software you can use.

Beans

Thanks for your response. Has there been a bug report on Launchpad concerning this issue?

Beans
    Distro

Don't know really if there are bugs reported yet.
    However, when UNR 1st came out, there were many known issues, and they were put in a table. 9.10 still don't have those issues clearly addressed, at least when I last checked (just now).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bcasanov View Post
    just to clarify, the problem is with UNR itself? With the normal Ubuntu desktop (aka, all of the UNR packages removed) the notification problem goes away?
    I'm using the desktop edition of Ubuntu and I have the same problem with the brightness notifications.

Beans

I've just upgraded from UNR 8.10 to UNR 9.10 on an NC10, before the upgrade screen brightness worked through the keyboard FN and down arrow.

Since the upgrade I have no way of adjusting the brightness.
    Last edited by xsilvergs; November 30th, 2009 at 09:49 PM.
    Ubuntu 32-bit OS