Thread: get dell_rbu driver?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

get dell_rbu driver?

I am trying to update my bios on Dell Mini 9 running 9.04 with A00 bios.Using only Linux tools.
    I have libsmbios-bin. I have the latest bios hdr for my system from Dell. I have bogged down getting the dell-rbu. Tried "# modprobe dell_rbu". No result.
    I need help here. If you can help please don't leave out any details as I probably won't know what is missing.

Thanks

SteveG

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: get dell_rbu driver?

I've never used it and wouldn't consider it "safe" to burn a BIOS from a higher level than MSDOS ... with absolutely no drivers loaded.

Any error at all will "brick" your motherboard (may as well strip any useful parts off it and throw it in the trash at that point).

I keep a cheapo MSDOS usb stick around JUST for flashing BIOS upgrades.

You also don't want to ever flash your BIOS unless you have a UPS to prevent power failures. A power-fail during a flash will brick your Dell. Dude.
    sı ɯǝ1qoɹd ɹnoʎ ʇɐɥʍ ǝǝs ı ʞuıɥʇ ı

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: get dell_rbu driver?

After various attempts to follow direction for "easy bios upgrade" on a dell mini 9 with Ubuntu, I gave it up as too risky and not worth while. Everyone giving out the directions left important steps out. The A00 bios works ok.

steveg