Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Karmic Release Party

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    134
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Karmic Release Party

    Are there any plans for a release party in Oct for Karmic's release?

    mcm
    Mark C. Miller
    Indianapolis Indiana

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Beans
    43
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Post Re: Karmic Release Party

    I was just about to post something about the release party. Here's what I sent to the mailing list:

    The next version of Ubuntu, version 9.10 (Karmic Koala) is being released on Thursday, October 29, 2009. We typically hold our release parties on the Saturday following a release but since Halloween falls on the Saturday after the Karmic release, I think we should postpone our release party a week and hold it on Saturday, November 7, 2009.

    Any suggestions for venues? Last year's fall release party was held at Buca di Beppo in Castleton (NE Indy) and I think that worked out well - their family style dishes mesh well with the spirit of FOSS.

    I've started a planning page at
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IndianaTeam/KarmicReleaseParty

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    102

    Re: Karmic Release Party

    THE BEEF HOUSE

    is like a world class eatin place on i74 just before Danville ILLINOIS....

    Dinner is about 35 bucks a persone

    They have INCREDIBLE Steaks that are HIGHLY ACCLAIMED....

    Dress is upscale casual, so I always wear my best pair of jeans.

    If you are looking for just a GREAT PLACE to eat that isnt TERRIBLY expensive I would suggest it....

    Plus I wouldnt have to drive far and get lost...

    Jim

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Beans
    43
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Karmic Release Party

    Quote Originally Posted by ConXtionS View Post
    THE BEEF HOUSE

    is like a world class eatin place on i74 just before Danville ILLINOIS....

    Dinner is about 35 bucks a persone

    They have INCREDIBLE Steaks that are HIGHLY ACCLAIMED....

    Dress is upscale casual, so I always wear my best pair of jeans.

    If you are looking for just a GREAT PLACE to eat that isnt TERRIBLY expensive I would suggest it....

    Plus I wouldnt have to drive far and get lost...

    Jim
    We typically have people coming from Fort Wayne and Bloomington and Metro Indy is fairly centrally located. If people don't mind the trip west of Indy, I suppose it would be fine.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    102

    Re: Karmic Release Party

    Quote Originally Posted by schultmc View Post
    We typically have people coming from Fort Wayne and Bloomington and Metro Indy is fairly centrally located. If people don't mind the trip west of Indy, I suppose it would be fine.

    I would be quite a HAUL from up north... You are right, indy is a better location of course... I just had to do a shameless plug for the home town eatin place...lol

    anyhow... I would like to come and bring my wife

    Jim

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Beans
    43
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Karmic Release Party

    Quote Originally Posted by ConXtionS View Post
    I would be quite a HAUL from up north... You are right, indy is a better location of course... I just had to do a shameless plug for the home town eatin place...lol

    anyhow... I would like to come and bring my wife

    Jim
    Anyone is welcome to attend - please add your names to the wiki at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IndianaTeam/KarmicReleaseParty

    So far the suggested restaurants in Indy (NE side - Castleton) are Buca di Beppo and Dave & Busters. I haven't yet been to the Indy Dave & Busters but had a great time at the Atlanta one several years ago.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Beans
    589
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Karmic Release Party

    I've heard of release parties for years, but I've never been to one.

    If you don't mind, could you explain the going-ons at a conventional release party?
    Locke
    Try Dropbox, it's FREE! (gratis) http://db.tt/J7Sm9iC
    Try Dropbox experimental build updater http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=12153

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Beans
    43
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Karmic Release Party

    Quote Originally Posted by Locke_99GS View Post
    I've heard of release parties for years, but I've never been to one.

    If you don't mind, could you explain the going-ons at a conventional release party?
    The Indiana Ubuntu LoCo team holds two release parties a year in conjunction with the periodic releases of Ubuntu. Our spring release parties have been held at Fort Harrison State Park in Lawrence (East side of Indy), IN where we have a pitch-in cookout. Due to the weather, our fall release parties are held indoors at a restaurant. At either release party, people often bring laptops with the latest Ubuntu installed and sometimes there are copies of the latest release handed out. We also discuss new features of the release or talk about any problems we're having using Ubuntu.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Beans
    43
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Karmic Release Party

    The Karmic Release Party is scheduled for this Saturday - we should lock down the time and place ASAP.

    I'll vote for Dave & Buster's just for variety's sake.

    If you're interested in attending, please sign up on the party planning page

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Beans
    18
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Karmic Release Party

    Although I am a fellow hoosier, I won't be able to attend. But I just wanted to let you guys know that if you choose Buca di Beppo, they are running a national coupon that is a pretty good deal. Link to coupon below.

    http://www.bucadibeppo.com/pdf/CouponNational.pdf

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •