View Poll Results: Do you use Seahorse and want it installed by default?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Handy for me as average user and I would miss it if removed from defaults.

3 12.50%
  • Useful for me only as power user, but so are other tools: it's convient to have by default.

3 12.50%
  • Can be useful for me as averag user, but it's reasonable to remove it from defaults.

3 12.50%
  • Only useful for me as a power user, it's reasonable to remove it from defaults.

3 12.50%
  • I'm aware of what it does, but never used it and never felt the need for using it.

7 29.17%
  • Never heard about Seahorse until I saw this poll.

5 20.83%

Thread: Poll: do you use Seahorse and want it installed by default?

Keyper7 is offline Skinny Soy Caramel Ubuntu
    Beans

Poll: do you use Seahorse and want it installed by default?

The recent discussions about Seahorse made me wonder... who does actually use it? For changing and removing saved passwords, the average user usually goes directly to the app. For synchronizing remote keys... well, the average user does not do that at all, I think.

So I got curious and decided to set up this poll. I'd likely to politely request two things before you reply:

- forget about security
    - forget about bloat

I'd like you to assume that all your security concerns about Seahorse are completely fixed and that it occupies exactly 0Mb in your hard drive. I'd like you to be objective and base your answers only in functionality. Answers like "I would never use it because the current implementation is insecure" and "I'd like it removed from the default because my hard drive is small" would distort the results.

And remember: Seahorse != Gnome Keyring. Removing the former does not remove the latter.
    Last edited by Keyper7; November 4th, 2009 at 05:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Poll: do you use Seahorse and want it installed by default?

I'm a power user, and I use seahorse all the time. I would definitely miss it.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 X 1TB, 1 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

Re: Poll: do you use Seahorse and want it installed by default?

Quote Originally Posted by Keyper7 View Post
    And remember: Seahorse != Gnome Keyring. Removing the former does not remove the latter.
    A little extra information to help us along, if you wouldn't mind. I know what the combination of gnome-keyring and seahorse does. I'm not so clear, however, on which program is responsible for what. Where does gnome-keyring end and seahorse begin?