Thread: Remux Doctor Who from BBC-HD to mkv

Beans

Remux Doctor Who from BBC-HD to mkv

Ok I had better start by saying this is not 100% on topic for this forum, other then the fact I watch the files on my myth box! However I'm at a loss on this one and as I've had so helpful answers from here in the past thought I would make a post.

Basically I recorded Doctor Who off BBC-HD earlier today and want to remux this into to a mkv container with no recompression.

I used tsmuxer (on windows) to demux the streams and then tried mkvmerge (the windows version again but there is a build of this in the ubuntu repository as well) and other software including ffmpeg (via a front-end) but cannot get a mkv file that works on myth, vlc or anything else correctly.

What is confusing is that I managed to remux the last episode of Doctor Who shown earlier in the year, and I'm sure I used the same method.

Any help would be appreciated.

Utar

Beans

Re: Remux Doctor Who from BBC-HD to mkv

Well in case anyone else has the same issue in future I thought I would post an update.

It seems that BBC-HD must have changed their transmission format as tsmuxer was not correctly demuxing the stream. After a lot of experimentation I managed to get vlc to remux the stream into a new ts container (less the audio track I didn't want) which tsmuxer liked. I could then use tsmuxer to demux the ts file and cut the over-recording at the start.

Mkvmerge then worked, although I had to set the fps to 50, rather then 25.

The mkv files plays fine on myth and any other player.

Utar
    Last edited by utar; November 16th, 2009 at 11:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It seems that BBC-HD must have changed their transmission format
    Well that explains why Myth is showing it as simply 'HD' rather than '1080' in the recordings list.

Any good? Haven't watched it yet.

Beans

I liked it, well worth watching.

If you are interested there is a blog post on the BBC website re the change which happened in August:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcintern...d_picture.html

Utar

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes, I stumbled across one of the BBC-HD / PQ blogs a while back. Things certainly do get quite heated. Personally, I think the PQ is pretty good, but then I've not got SKY or a Blu-Ray player yet.