Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: A new Acer AO751H thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: A new Acer AO751H thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend G View Post
    Checked out Jolicloud; it is just UNR with some lipstick. No new functionality or support for the Ao751h hardware.

I've had similar problems to legendario only I'm trying to connect to a Toshiba 19DV555DB television: made several edits to xorg.conf but ended up just making a mess of the onboard display. I'm still trying though.
    This happens because Jolicloud is based on Jaunty, and everything worked well on Jaunty. It must be related to the karmic hal deprecation. Anyways, I want to use karmic on it and I think this topic was created to deal specifically with karmic usage on this hardware, cause all topics were related with jaunty usage.

After upgrading to 2.6.31-20 kernel version, I have been undergoing to a very picking problem. I just can`t uninstall the psb-kernel-headers, or maybe reinstall any other poulsbo related package. This is the error I`ve been going trough:

Code:
    $ sudo aptitude purge psb-kernel-headers
    Lendo listas de pacotes... Pronto
    Construindo árvore de dependências        
    Lendo informação de estado... Pronto
    Lendo informações estendidas de estado       
    Inicializando estados de pacotes... Pronto
    Os pacotes a seguir serão REMOVIDOS:
      psb-kernel-headers{ap} 
    0 pacotes atualizados, 0 novos instalados, 1 a serem removidos e 0 não atualizados.
    É preciso obter 0B de arquivos. Depois do desempacotamento, 471kB serão liberados.
    Você deseja continuar? [Y/n/?] y
    Escrevendo informações estendidas de estado... Pronto
    (Lendo banco de dados ... 287267 arquivos e diretórios atualmente instalados).
    Removendo psb-kernel-headers ...
    Nenhum desvio ("diversion") 'any diversion of /usr/include/drm/drm_sarea.h', nenhum removido
    Nenhum desvio ("diversion") 'any diversion of /usr/include/drm/drm.h', nenhum removido
    Nenhum desvio ("diversion") 'any diversion of /usr/include/drm/drm_hashtab.h', nenhum removido
    Nenhum desvio ("diversion") 'any diversion of /usr/include/drm/i915_drm.h', nenhum removido
    rm: não foi possível remover `/usr/include/drm-linux-libc': É um diretório
    dpkg: erro processando psb-kernel-headers (--purge):
     sub-processo script post-removal instalado retornou estado de saída de erro 1
    Erros foram encontrados durante o processamento de:
     psb-kernel-headers
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    A instalação de um pacote falhou. Tentando recuperar:
    Lendo listas de pacotes... Pronto                      
    Construindo árvore de dependências       
    Lendo informação de estado... Pronto
    Lendo informações estendidas de estado       
    Inicializando estados de pacotes... Pronto
    Did anyone go through this problem, and the most important, could solve it well?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I didn't have this problem when upgrading to -20 but I was technically using a fresh install when I upgraded.

A few weeks ago I decided to install KDE and XFCE via synaptic to see if they'd run any better or faster than Gnome: it made a grand mess of the system and made me wish I hadn't bothered, so I loaded up my live USB of 9.10, reinstalled Ubuntu (wiping out all the changes I'd made to the OS over the last four months without deleting any of my mail, wireless or browser settings), updated the system to -19, fixed the audio and followed the simple instructions here to get the video working:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...eoCardsPoulsbo

After all this the video performance is significantly better than it was before and resetting the video after a kernel update is another single instruction (see the link above again). If nobody has any better suggestions you could give this a try.

I wonder whether 10.04 will be better?
    Last edited by Reverend G; March 12th, 2010 at 05:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Poulsbo is pretty sucks under Karmic. I`ve update de kernel and forgot to remove the psb related packages. Now I just can`t fix the video resolution. Is there a solution for that. I just can`t take with this slow video answer anymore. It`s driving me crazy and taking away my produtivity.
    Last edited by Legendário; March 16th, 2010 at 04:36 PM.

Beans

Has anyone tried Lucid? I've tried it and it's the same, incorrect screen resolution.
    I didn't update it, maybe after updating... maybe...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

anything new under 10.04??????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Upgraded (well, clean installed from a USB stick) to Lucid tonight and thus far improvements are minor. Battery monitor seems to be working which is a welcome change; I got rather fed up of not being given a warning before my computer battery fell over in Karmic. Applications I use on a daily basis (Firefox, Evolution, VLC, Gnucash & Rhythmbox) all seem to be running a little bit faster which I'm not going to complain about, and once the instructions are followed here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne/AO751h

the 1366 x 768 resolution works. One thing I noticed when following the instructions was that in all the script that flashed up while the appropriate files were installing there seemed to be a problem accessing some location or other; it doesn't seem to have made that much of a difference to the way 1366 x 768 works but I thought I'd mention it.

So far so good.

EDIT: Just a few more... niggles. Ubuntu splash screen doesn't display when loading up the OS which 'aint a deal breaker but it's [borg] imperfect [/borg]. Also full screen video playback is a wee bit worse than under fiddled 9.10; I don't think the poulsbo driver utilisation is as good under 10.04 yet but give 'em time and I'm sure it'll improve. Other than that everything seems to be business as usual.
    Last edited by Reverend G; May 29th, 2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Adding to the 10.04 impressions buddy!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi.

I have Lubuntu running on my AA1-751. Pretty fast and much better than Xubuntu. I had problems with the 1368x768 screen, it stayed at 1024x768, a rather large font for every menu and the lack of speed to view video. I tried several forum tips without much effect. Yesterday I found an addition for this machine on the Acer Forum that worked, but I can't find it back again. Anyhow, I don't want you to miss it, since the effect is amazing. Now my Aspire One is a full working notebook with full screen video.

This is what I did:
    Open the terminal
    # sudo su
    (sudo apt-get upd..... didn't work, so I logged in as superuser.)
    # apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
    # wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/Gma5...ulsbo_lucid.sh && bash ./poulsbo_lucid.sh
    (It will take some time, but that is worth it.)
    Reboot.

Have fun.
    Last edited by hansvv1; May 31st, 2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: type failure

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Logging in as superuser did away with the access problems I reported. After the script executes the resolution is fixed and 2D graphics run OK.

However video performance is really ticking me off now. As I stated above the utilisation of the Poulsbo drivers in Lucid just isn't as good as under Karmic: after fiddling with VLC's myriad settings the full screen video is still choppy as hell and the Grub2 and Plymouth splash screens require a separate fix which I'm not happy about running. I'm going back to Karmic until some kind soul sorts out the mess.

EDIT: Downloaded and installed Karmic with kernel 2.6.31-14, ran the script to install the GMA500 .deb packages, edited alsa-base.conf to correct the sound problem, updated the system and kernel to 2.6.31-21 via the update manager, re-enabled the drivers for the GMA500 and installed my normal software and the OS is pretty much perfect. I have a working battery monitor and video's now perfect in full screen. Life is sweet.
    Last edited by Reverend G; June 3rd, 2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Update for re-installation of Karmic

Beans

Guys,

Just tried the gma500 driver at

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...c%20%289.10%29

and broke native resolution.

tried to revert to psb driver, didnt work.

Is there a way to use this method on Karmic AND have native resolution?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Karmic and native resolution is certainly possible. What Kernel are you running? Have you upgraded the kernel recently, as this tends to break the native resolution until the psb-kernel-source package is reconfigured.

The instructions that you have linked to have changed recently as the appropriate drivers are now available from the GMA500 PPA: a week ago the instructions described a script to install drivers from another source, and this is what I used to get my system working.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast