Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Use VNC as a second monitor

Beans

Re: Use VNC as a second monitor

This "xrandr --fb" and "x11vnc -clip" combo almost works: I can extend my ubuntu desktop to the android tablet and drag a window from ubuntu to the tablet, until the mouse cursor hits the right edge of the laptop screen, at which point the cursor stops and I can't drag the window any further. As I move my laptop cursor along the right side, the tablet cursor matches the vertical motion but not the horizontal motion; in particular, the tablet cursor stays on the left edge of the tablet.

Just to be clear: I am running a vnc viewer on the tablet, as such it has a cursor (for the remote desktop) and a pointer (for the tablet). I can move the tablet pointer, but not the remote desktop cursor.

Any suggestions for extending the movement of the cursor from ubuntu to the tablet? THANKS!

Beans

Saou, have you had any success with this? Am using ubuntu 12.04LTS and the standard Unity window manager and am experiencing the same thing even after extending the screen with xrandr --fb 3968x1080

Beans

another approach could be to run an lxc container + Xvnc + synergys but it seems overcomplicated?

Beans

Any news on this? Is there a way to get ANY window manager to draw windows beyond usual boundaries?

Beans

Just a theory (I'm a noob when it comes to X11 configuration):

- I can configure a second display just as in a dual monitor setup. Windows sharing etc works perfectly fine that way.
    - I could connect to the second display using VNC client from the remote machine (I assume)
    - When removing the second monitor, I should have a perfect remote display setup?

I assume this should work without having to connect a real second monitor in the first place.

I might be completely wrong, but it sounds at least reasonable and easier than combining x sessions and the like...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12