Thread: DPI problem is keeping me from using Kubuntu

Beans

DPI problem is keeping me from using Kubuntu

I've been using Ubuntu for about 6 months now and I'm loving it! My only quarrel is a problem I had in 9.04 that has disappeared but prevents me from using Kubuntu.
    In Jaunty the fonts on my login screen were much too large. So large, in fact, that it made the scrolling menus unusable. After I would login, how ever, the problem disappeared as GNOME took over and set the DPI to 96. I installed Kubuntu 9.10 hoping to give KDE a go but when it rendered the fonts they were gigantic! Completely unusable!
    I have an integrated ATI Radeon HD3300 and I'm using whatever driver and Catalyst version that Ubuntu 9.10 has out of the box. Here is a copy of the output of xdpyinfo | grep resolution command:
    resolution: 2032x2167 dots per inch
    I'm not too terribly computer saavy but I'm pretty sure that's not 96DPI! I would really love to try out the KDE desktop but I've been stuck on this for a while now. I've also scoured the forums for info trying several things that ended up jacking up my xorg.conf file. Please help fellow Linux heads!
    Thanks
    Landon
    Last edited by LinuxLandon; November 15th, 2009 at 07:52 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: DPI problem is keeping me from using Kubuntu

I wonder whether the problem is DPI or the login resolution. Anyway, here is a thread with the similar DPI related problem and a proposed sulution in post #2.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1257485

Beans

Re: DPI problem is keeping me from using Kubuntu

Thank you.