Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to learn C?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

What's the best way to learn C?

I'm really interested in learning just C before I go onto C++, so that I have a better background on the whole language. I have some experience in Java and VB so I understand most of the OO concepts. Any suggestions of books or websites would be appreciated. I learned most of my Java from Sun's Beginner documentation so anything along those lines I find myself to be comfortable with.

Beans

Re: What's the best way to learn C?

Learn C is not the path to C++. The languages share nothing in common besides some syntax.

Just learn C++. Thinking in C++ is available for free online, but I really recommend Accelerated C++ for a book.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I agree. The problem with C++ for most people is to "forget" how they used to program in C and adapt to the OO way of thinking. If learning C++ is your goal, then start with C++. I'd say that it's not more difficult than C, just different (and in a lot of ways easier, actually).

If you really want to learn another language before starting with C++, I think Java is a much better choice.
    Software Failure. Press left mouse button to continue.
    Guru Meditation #00000000.48454C50

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Another vote to learn C++ not C if C++ is your destination.

I also recommend "Accelerated C++" by Koenig and Moo.
    ACCU - for programmers who care

Beans

C is a wonderful language to learn for its own merit. But if you want to learn C only so that it would help you to learn C++, then I suggest you start with C++ directly.
    To understand recursion you must understand recursion

http://krishnamurthy.net.in

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I want to learn C so that I can use it if need it. I know that it is used in programming some drivers and embedded systems. A friend of mine also told me that having a good understanding of both languages can help when designing an application.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LordRaiden
    I want to learn C so that I can use it if need it. I know that it is used in programming some drivers and embedded systems.
    Yes, but the point is, if you want to learn C, learn C. If you want to learn C++, learn C++. They're essentially two totally different languages except for syntax.

A friend of mine also told me that having a good understanding of both languages can help when designing an application.
    I would suggest your friend doesn't know what he's talking about, unless you're intentionally designing C++ code for access from C or similar.

Beans

if you know c++ you can usualy figure out c, but it is harder the otheway around however it can be done.
    Edward A Robinson -- www.earobinson.org

I won't try to sway you from your position of learning C first, as I did the same thing. I was in a very similar position as you, but only knew Java. Unlike the other posters, I believe that it is an acceptable path. However, I certainly agree with them that if you do not plan to use C, then don't learn it.

After stopping and starting with other books, I am certain that "The C Programming Language" by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie is an excellent way to learn C if you know a language already. Concern yourself with the the first seven chapters and just simply read the last one. The exercises aren't terribly interesting, but doing a couple per chapter wouldn't hurt.

When you are done with that, learn how to use GNU Make or scons for automating your builds. Make certain to know how to separate properly into header files and source files.

Next, when moving on to C++, find a nice tutorial. I learn from books and therefore chose Steve Oualline's "Practical C++ Programming." Using a web tutorial would be fine. You should ultimately get Bjarne Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language."

Please note that C++ is huge. It is impractical to consistently use the entire language. Write good code using what you know, and don't shy away from virtual functions and other heavily OOP C++.

Good luck!

Beans

I recommend the book Teach Yourself C in 21 Days by Sam's Publishing.

Given what you have said, that you want to learn both C and C++, I agree with your proposal to learn C first and then to tackle C++. The reasons are (1) your C knowledge won't be wasted in C++, since the C language is (essentially) a subset of C++; (2) C is much simpler than C++ and will be easier to learn. Knowing C will help you learn C++. C++ programming style is a lot different from C style, but you shouldn't have much trouble with that, coming from an OO background.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast