Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 won't install grub

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 won't install grub

I haven't tried to install to a usb stick , mabye later tonight . Here is the bug# 486151 that I filed but there are 350 against grub2 that you can choose from , many for won't install to various places , it looks like they have a problem .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans

@Gina,

Why not just install legacy grub?

I just did one today like this:

(1) Using the Live CD installer at the last step click on Advanced and choose not to install grub at all!

(2) When installation is done don't choose to restart, rather choose to keep using the Live CD.

(3) Since you just installed you should know the drive/partition # of your Karmic (or Lucid) so keep that in mind. If you have no idea the Boot Info Script should be helpful:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291280

(4) From the Live Desktop run:

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
    (of course XY must represent your drive and partition #'s!)

Then:

Code:
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev && sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc && sudo mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts && sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/resolv.conf && sudo chroot /mnt
    You should notice that the command prompt changes from ubuntu@ubuntu$ to # which means you're now root in that OS. I like to be sure I am where I want to be with "cat /etc/issue" and "df -H".

Then revert:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1298932

And when you're done:

Code:
    sudo umount /mnt/dev/pts && sudo umount /mnt/dev && sudo umount /mnt/proc && sudo umount /mnt

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    @Gina,

Why not just install legacy grub?

I just did one today like this:

(1) Using the Live CD installer at the last step click on Advanced and choose not to install grub at all!

(2) When installation is done don't choose to restart, rather choose to keep using the Live CD.

(3) Since you just installed you should know the drive/partition # of your Karmic (or Lucid) so keep that in mind. If you have no idea the Boot Info Script should be helpful:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291280

(4) From the Live Desktop run:

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
    (of course XY must represent your drive and partition #'s!)

Then:

Code:
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev && sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc && sudo mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts && sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/resolv.conf && sudo chroot /mnt
    You should notice that the command prompt changes from ubuntu@ubuntu$ to # which means you're now root in that OS. I like to be sure I am where I want to be with "cat /etc/issue" and "df -H".

Then revert:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1298932

And when you're done:

Code:
    sudo umount /mnt/dev/pts && sudo umount /mnt/dev && sudo umount /mnt/proc && sudo umount /mnt
    Well, I may well do that but I think I have hard drive problems which want fixing first.

I installed testdisk into my Live CD USB stick system (Jaunty) and did a deep search. That found all partitions, old and current. Some I wanted were marked as deleted. I carefully went through the list changing the Deleted flag to either P or L as appropriate and checked they were all contiguous. Then I wrote all that back to the Partition Table.

Next it said the boot sector was corrupted (which I had suspected) but there was a good backup, and choices of restoring that or rebuilding the boot sector - I chose to restore. So there have been problems with the HD. Next thing, I think, is a thorough check of the HD itself. I'll have to check again because I've been asleep since but I think I found GParted still wouldn't work on that drive though it found the USB drive.

So I think I've got to make sure the hardware and disk structure are OK before I abandon grub2. Because, although there are known bugs in grub2, I feel it's the way to go. If after all the checks and repairs, there are still currently insurmountable problems, I shall revert to grub legacy until the worst bugs are fixed in grub2. Thank you for the tutorial on the best way to do that
    Last edited by Gina; November 26th, 2009 at 11:25 AM.
    Desktops: AMD64X2 3GB RAM 500GB SATA2 GeForce9400GT - P4 HT 3.2Ghz 1GB RAM 250GB IDE + 2x160GB SATA ATI Radeon X740XL - Laptop AMD AthlonXP 1.6 512MB RAM 120GB HD ATI M200

Gina's Ubuntu HowTo's for beginners (and reference)

Beans
    Distro

Confirmed - GParted still won't read the partitions on sda. So the hard drive has a problem that needs sorting out before anything else.
    Desktops: AMD64X2 3GB RAM 500GB SATA2 GeForce9400GT - P4 HT 3.2Ghz 1GB RAM 250GB IDE + 2x160GB SATA ATI Radeon X740XL - Laptop AMD AthlonXP 1.6 512MB RAM 120GB HD ATI M200

Beans
    Distro

I've just run fsck which found lots of errors, particularly on the partition I was playing with. I've marked that deleted in the Partition Table. Could only check Linux partitions with that so I put the MBR back to grub legacy and now running XP and checking the NTFS partitions for bad sectors etc.

Once the repairs are done I'll try GParted again. But I've already pretty much decided I don't really want Windows XP on the laptop any more so I'm thinking of installing Karmic and letting it grab the whole HD and format it how it likes. See if that works and take it from there. The drive is really in a bit of a mess and I'm hoping a whole drive install will wipe the PT and start from scratch.

Beans
    Distro

The repairs worked and GParted worked again. Anyway, decided to wipe everything and start afresh so installed Karmic and chose the Use whole HD partitioner option and let it install grub2 to MBR. Now have 9.10 system and swap partitions only. But the system freezes on startup still So it looks like a downgrade to grub legacy.
    Last edited by Gina; November 27th, 2009 at 02:11 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Now have 9.10 system and swap partitions only. But the system freezes on startup still So it looks like a downgrade to grub legacy.
    This is on a normal hard drive?

At what point does the system "freeze"? If you get the Grub 2 menu, can select an entry, and the process continues it may be a problem with the video, kernel or something not related to Grub. Remember Grub only transfers control to the kernel.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, normal hard drive - IDE 2.5" laptop drive.

Since there's only one OS on the machine, the menu is hidden (I think) - anyway, no menu is shown and after a couple of seconds of text cursor the screen is blank and nothing responds except the power button.

Beans
    Distro

if gina is having what I was getting he can't select anything. cursor won't move , return won't boot the autoselected entry ,if set for a time it don't count down . The only way out is a hard reboot .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro

Tried again hitting Esc at the appropriate time and got the grub v1.97beta menu. FULL STOP! Yes!! Only way out is a hard reboot. The same problem still.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast