Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kindle for PC /Wine

Beans

Re: Kindle for PC /Wine

Quote Originally Posted by ms602 View Post
    Yup, that's the problem. Amazon changed something that broke it for Ubuntu. ... But anyhow... here's where you can download the original 'Kindle for PC' beta file.
    Thanks, this version installed and ran fine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by afrodeity View Post
    It could be your graphics card, try:
    Code:
    winetricks d3dx9
    Did that this morning. Still no soup:

Code:
    piet@Sunny:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Amazon/Kindle For PC$ wine KindleForPC.exe 
    fixme:crypt:CRYPT_CriticalExtensionsSupported unsupported critical extension "2.5.29.32"
    fixme:crypt:CRYPT_CriticalExtensionsSupported unsupported critical extension "2.5.29.32"
    fixme:msimtf:DllCanUnloadNow ()
    piet@Sunny:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Amazon/Kindle For PC$

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ms602 View Post
    Yup, that's the problem. Amazon changed something that broke it for Ubuntu. You'd think that Amazon would be a bit more appreciative towards Linux, given that the Kindle runs it!

http://www.tucows.com/download.html?..._id=613764&t=2
    I have downloaded this version, and it works for me. Thanks guys.

Beans

Thanks for figuring out that the problem is the version of Kindle for PC! I am the "User Gene" who reported how well this worked to Lifehacker! I have spent many hours happily running Kindle for PC and to have it suddely taken away was a drag!

Beans

So I guess the next question is, do we send this as a bug report to the Wine developers or do we send it to Amazon, or both?

This beta isn't going to last forever.

Beans

I was also able to install the old Beta and have is successfully run with Wine. I have also used VirtualBox to run a copy of Windows XP and of course Kindle PC works with that. BUT that seems a little cumbersome to read eBooks and not a viable solution for netbook users. I am anxiously awaiting to see if Kindle offers Linux support.

Beans

I have been pulling my hair out for a week trying to figger out what the heck was going on here. I moved from remix to 9.1 full on my laptop. I was just have to many problems with remix.

I was so upset when I could not get the Kindle app running again, that I was almost ready to reinstall the remix just for my books...

But the old betta has me up a reading again. Thanks so much for this find.
    I sure hope Amazon sees this as a bo-bo and fixes it soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thank you!!

I've been fiddling with Kindle for PC for a couple days now with no luck. Decided to come back to this thread and see if anyone else had any luck and saw the news about the beta version.

I do hope Amazon does a Kindle for Linux!

Beans

Please file a bug report with Amazon

If you'd like to see this fixed, file a bug report with Amazon.

To do so, go to the Kindle Support page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200127470

Click the "Contact US" button in the right sidebar.

Then enter your problem report. Here is what I sent:

Issue: Computer or Mobile Phone Reader Issue
    Kindle Version: Kindle for PC

Previous versions of the "Kindle for PC" software worked under WINE, the Windows Emulator for Linux. The current version does not. The application installs correctly, but when you try to launch the program it fails to run.

Could you please forward a request to the development team to test releases under WINE? Thanks.

UPDATE: The initial response from Amazon response was unhelpful -- it suggested I reinstal Kindle for PC.

I clicked the "No, this doesn't answer my question" link in the response email. A couple hours later, I got a better response that said:

I've reviewed our previous correspondence with you, and I'm very sorry about the misunderstanding you received.

Strong customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us about working on "Kindle for PC" under WINE, the Windows Emulator for Linux.

I'll send your comments to the Kindle team.

So, please do consider submitting feedback -- and be sure to escalate if the initial response isn't helpful.
    Last edited by chipr; January 3rd, 2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: added updated info

Beans

Great! Amazon should have my comments now. Thank you for the heads up. gB

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast