Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kindle for PC /Wine

Beans

Re: Kindle for PC /Wine

I set the Kindle application in the wine config and changed the setting to Windows 98.

When I run the application from the command line I get the following output:

mmap() failed: Cannot allocate memory
    ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1008snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
    fixme:crypt:CRYPT_CriticalExtensionsSupported unsupported critical extension "2.5.29.32"
    fixme:crypt:CRYPT_CriticalExtensionsSupported unsupported critical extension "2.5.29.32"
    fixme:msimtfllCanUnloadNow ()

I saw some other traffic on this related to a game but not for the Amazon Reader. I suspect it has something to do with the Nvidia card/driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Second line looks like something to do with the sound setting in Wine. Try changing the sound option in winecfg.

There are quite a few bug reports related to the fixme

Hi, when trying to help with recent bug 20616, i found out, that there is
    recent regression. So because it does not happen in wine-1.1.32 and wine-1.1.33
    is still not released, i left version as unspecified. Please correct if
    wrong...
    Another thing you could try to do is install:
    .net 2.0.

Code:
    winetricks dotnet20
    Not sure it it will help, but best to eliminate the possibility.

Otherwise you will either have to file a bug report with WINEHQ or downgrade your version of WINE I'm afraid. Sorry couldn't be of more assistance.

Beans

I'm experiencing a similar problem. I see the Kindle for PC icon on my desktop but it will not launch Kindle4PC. I've tried the configure to 98 procedures. When I tried to configure and test my sound card, I hear a "click" -- the same sound that espeak makes. I hope that this issue can be resolved. Thank you in advance for any workable solution/s. gB

Beans

Hello gang.
    I have exactly the same issue.
    Here is a run down of what I have.
    I have an Acer Aspire One laptop running Ubuntu Netbook Remix, quite freshly built yesterday with all updates.

I had this problem with the default wine install.

I had this problem with the beta version of wine
    ii wine1.2 1.1.35-0ubuntu1 Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer (Binary Emulator and Library

I have installed the winetricks dotnet20
    Nothing I do gets the Kindle application to work.

Code:
    piet@Sunny:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Amazon/Kindle For PC$ wine KindleForPC.exe 
    fixme:msimtf:DllCanUnloadNow ()
    piet@Sunny:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Amazon/Kindle For PC$

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It could be your graphics card, try:
    Code:
    winetricks d3dx9

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It could be your graphics card, try:
    Code:
    winetricks d3dx9

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Red face Re: Kindle for PC /Wine

I'd bet that Amazon changed something, that the version up for download now is different than what was previously available. I went to download the Kindle for PC app and install it on all my Ubuntu computers, and none of them work. All Ubuntu PC's include a Sony Vaio notebook (Intelx64), an HP notebook (AMDx64), and an Acer Aspire One netbook (Intelx86). I've tried to find a copy of the November 10th beta of Kindle for PC, but have not found a downloadable install any place except directly from Amazon. If anyone has a copy of a prior version of Kindle for PC, known to work, please do post.

Beans

Hi,

a bit of a me-too post. was following instructions from lifehacker and the kindle for pc from amazon but nothing happens when I run it from wine. Terminal says:
    [marco@perlis Kindle For PC]$ wine KindleForPC.exe
    Really looking forward to buying ebooks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Marco

Beans

I'm also having problems running the "Kindle for PC" software. Here is the error I'm getting:

Code:
    $ wine KindleForPC.exe
    fixme:msimtf:CActiveIMM_Create ((nil) {08c0e040-62d1-11d1-9326-0060b067b86e} 0xdfa1bc)
    fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no instance created for interface {08c0e040-62d1-11d1-9326-0060b067b86e} of class {4955dd33-b159-11d0-8fcf-00aa006bcc59}, hres is 0x80004002
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 8202 (SPI_GETFONTSMOOTHINGTYPE)
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 8204 (SPI_GETFONTSMOOTHINGCONTRAST)
    fixme:crypt:CertGetNameStringW unimplemented for type 2
    fixme:msimtf:DllCanUnloadNow ()
    This is on Ubuntu 9.10 x86_64 with Wine 1.0.1-0ubuntu8.
    I set Windows version to "Windows 98".
    I've also installed winetricks dotnet20 and d3dx9

Any suggestions on what I might try?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yup, that's the problem. Amazon changed something that broke it for Ubuntu. You'd think that Amazon would be a bit more appreciative towards Linux, given that the Kindle runs it! We should all demand that Amazon provide a Linux version of 'Kindle for PC'!!! But anyhow... here's where you can download the original 'Kindle for PC' beta file. I would highly suggest ya'll grab it while the grabbing is good, before Amazon notices and requests a cease and desist. Whatever they have up on Amazon.com right now won't work, though it would be wonderful if someone would find a workaround for that, because I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon cuts off access to prior beta installs at some point and demands an upgrade.

http://www.tucows.com/download.html?..._id=613764&t=2

Captain's Log, Supplemental: Amazon is really starting to **** me off. They've clearly made changes that break 'Kindle for PC' for Wine. I don't know if this is intentional or unintentional, but I really think that us users need to demand a native Linux edition. The original 11/10 beta file will install and get to login, but will fail to authenticate with Amazon's servers (even with the Windows 98 wine setting). On the Kindle device list, it shows an authorization for EVERY attempt to login, yet the software will not recognize as authenticated, and thus content cannot be accessed. Whatever version of the beta that Amazon has up as of yesterday (12/28) will not load at all. I get the same errors listed by previous commenters in this thread.
    Last edited by ms602; December 29th, 2009 at 10:14 AM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast