Thread: Some academic sources for basic Linux facts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Some academic sources for basic Linux facts.

I want some academic (preferably peer-reviewed) sites and references to several areas where Linux really shines.

Namely, customizability, security, open source kernel development, speed, ease of use. Just any good articles or resources with objective views and studies of Linux's benefits. This is for a friend's school article, and although I can tell him in depth all the benefits (especially compared to proprietary systems), he needs some citations to reference.

So please, if any of you can point me in the right direction, it would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Some academic sources for basic Linux facts.

*lil bump* Anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by murderslastcrow View Post
    I want some academic (preferably peer-reviewed) sites and references to several areas where Linux really shines.

Namely, customizability, security, open source kernel development, speed, ease of use. Just any good articles or resources with objective views and studies of Linux's benefits. This is for a friend's school article, and although I can tell him in depth all the benefits (especially compared to proprietary systems), he needs some citations to reference.

So please, if any of you can point me in the right direction, it would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
    I guess "I don't need no stinking" academic references to know that linux shines 24x7...

I guess the Computer Science people in these forums taking Operating System courses are your best bet....
    Philosophy doesn't get the work done...the success of Linux Community resides on its ability to listen to the people's demands and transform them into software faster/better than the alternatives

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

try wikipedia and see what's mentioned there as references and footnotes

Beans
    Hidden!

Google for "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" by Eric S. Raymond.
    One does not simply rock into Mordor.