Thread: Need help!!!

Beans

Cool Need help!!!

I have Ubuntu 8.04 +LTS version on a Dell Mini and I have a problem.

I updated my machine and now I am unable to shut my machine off. Also the internet comes up and asks for my password, when it automatically had signed on by itself.

My question is this: How do I restore to a previous time than when I did the update? Is there a command to do this?

Thanks for any help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Need help!!!

What type of Dell Mini do you have?

When you say it wont shut off, what is happening? Does it do nothing? Does it freeze?

If you open a Terminal (Applications, Accesories > Terminal) and issue the command:

Code:
    /sbin/shutdown -hP now
    What is the result?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you can't get to a terminal because the machine is frozen, try ctl/alt/backspace. That should get you back to the login screen at least.

8.04 LTS has just had a kernel upgrade and if you just updated you are probably running the new kernel. When you reboot, the last kernel you were using should be in the list (third down under the new kernel's recovery option) so just choose that.

Also, try running the recovery boot for the current kernel (second on the list).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    If you can't get to a terminal because the machine is frozen, try ctl/alt/backspace. That should get you back to the login screen at least.

8.04 LTS has just had a kernel upgrade and if you just updated you are probably running the new kernel. When you reboot, the last kernel you were using should be in the list (third down under the new kernel's recovery option) so just choose that.

Also, try running the recovery boot for the current kernel (second on the list).
    Would you kindly advise how I would get to this new kernel? Is it in the terminal mode or is there a command to get it?

The machine doesn't turn off, it just doesn't do anything, I have to hold down the button to turn it off myself.

Thanks for any help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Second on the grub menu list at boot. Ends in (recovery)