Thread: RT2500 goes slow after ~1 minute

Beans

RT2500 goes slow after ~1 minute

Hi there,

I've been reading about a lot of people having trouble getting their RT2500-based card to stay at 54M... Their speed is fine and normal for a while, and then suddenly slumps down to < 200 kB/s; iwconfig reveals that the rate is set to 1M, and manually setting it back to 54M temporarily fixes the issues.

But this seems to be an issue with older versions of the driver; I'm running Karmic and my rate is always 54M... I do experience the same symptoms though.

The only thing I can do is disconnect from the wireless network and reconnect; transfers jump back to max speed (1.2MB/s) instantly. Wired connection doesn't suffer from this issue, nor does Windows XP.

Any idea how I could diagnose this?

Thanks in advance!

Beans

Re: RT2500 goes slow after ~1 minute

I can confirm this. I have exactly the same problem.

RT2500 @ 64-bit Karmic

Regards

Edit:
    I think I just found a workaround in this topic: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=karmic+rt2500

the solution:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 txpower auto
    and then disable/enable wifi connection

Edit2:
    Unfortunately this didn't fix it, it still went slow after about 5 minutes.
    Last edited by Bart6114; December 27th, 2009 at 12:17 AM.

Beans

I read somewhere that this should be fixed in the 2.6.32 kernel. I installed it, but unfortunately it doesn't fix the speed problem. It remains the same. After connecting the speed is normal, after a few minutes it drops to about 80kbytes/s (instead of 1mbp/s).

Through all this iwconfig says the bitrate is at 48Mb/s. Setting it manually doens't do anything.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Your problem sounds a bit different to mine, but it might be worth trying the command in this post to see if it fixes it.

Beans

Thanks for your suggestion, but it doesn't work either.
    I also tried te following, but to no avail: http://sprayfly.com/2009/11/17/impro...-eeepc-1005ha/

Regards