Thread: Turn Off Monitor when Laptop Lid Closed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Turn Off Monitor when Laptop Lid Closed?

I just set up my friend's computer with Ubuntu 9.04 and everything (should be) updated to current standards.

She says, though, that on XP she used to be able to shut the lid and have it go on standby. I then shut the lid to see what happened and, after peeking through the crack, found that her screen doesn't even turn off when shut while running Ubuntu. She showed me the little button that gets pressed when the screen flips down that activates it, so I pressed it with my finger and nothing happened.

Is there a preference option where I can change this? She'd like it so that her screen just goes black or locks, not necessarily goes to standby.

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Turn Off Monitor when Laptop Lid Closed?

System>prefs>power management. Choose when lid is closed blank screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Turn Off Monitor when Laptop Lid Closed?

Thanks. Sorry, I just realized that I failed to do a forum search for it before asking...but I'm kind of glad I did ask. It was on blank screen, but still nothing happens. I've put it on Suspend and Hibernate, too, but the screen still stays on... She has an HP Compaq. Could this be a hardware problem where it won't communicate with Ubuntu properly?