Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to watch TV on Ubuntu?

Beans

How to watch TV on Ubuntu?

Hello, just switched from windows to Ubuntu 9.1 today. So, I am a complete noob. I need some pointers on how to set up a tuner card. I have a Hauppauge HVR-1600 and previously used it to watch TV with Windows Media Center with Comcast's QAM signal. I have spent a few nights looking for a solid "How To" but I am not finding anything that is on my level. The easier the better. I don't care if it records even.

Any tips would be appreciated. Again, my experience level with linux is less than one week. Location USA.
    Last edited by goatgonads; November 13th, 2009 at 04:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: How to watch TV on Ubuntu?

Have a look for tutorial on installing mythtv or try
    sudo apt-get install dvb-utils
    and install mplayer or vlc (this might be better)

The hardware should be supported in version 9.10 of ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You might want to check out Me-TV https://launchpad.net/me-tv

It works well for me as a lightweight TV player using my Hauppauge WinTV Nova-HD-S2 card.

As of Karmic its in the universe repository.

Beans

I tinkered with MythTV for an afternoon, I couldn't get it set up correctly. I just tried Me-TV and got the following: MythTV seems to take a PHD to set up.

Me-TV produced the following error: Failed to scan: scanning is only supported for DVB-T, DVB-S and DVB-C devices

I am not very knowledgable on the subject, but isn't USA ATSC? I tried all of the available lists included with the package, and got the same errors.
    Last edited by goatgonads; November 14th, 2009 at 12:38 AM.

Beans

Beans

I got MythTV to play channels, it doesn't seem to be quite what I wanted. Kaffeine seems to be what I am looking for. It shows my tuner, but does not come up with any channels when it scans.

Beans

I've had the same problem with that tuner. I can get channels in mythtv but hate it. I just want to use vlc but so far none of the scan scripts work with this set up. Hope someone out there can help us.
    ‎"Beauty in things exists in the mind which contemplates them." -- David Hume

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think my problem is I haven't subscribed to that service to get the channels, and me-tv doesn't work for me because I don't have a dvb tuner card.

Beans

I am using w_scan and am getting the following results:

w_scan -A2 -c US >> channels.conf
    w_scan version 20090808 (compiled for DVB API 5.0)
    main:2741: FATAL: VDR doesn't support ATSC. Waiting for VDR channels.conf support..

I dont know if w_scan is what I should be using, just trying everything I can. If anyone knows a better way, please advise.

Beans

Assuming you are trying to set up an ATSC tuner with me-tv try the following and let me know what you get. I have gotten it to scan, and am working on the next step.

"
    As I'm sure you've deduced, Me TV does not support scanning on ATSC devices.
    To get past this, simply use the command line applications w_scan or scan to generate a channels.conf file that you can import into Me TV. The "scan" application should be already available on your system so you're almost there. Typically I think that you would run scan like this,

scan /usr/share/dvb/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB > channels.conf

You might need a different tuning file though."

Here is a link to the help being given at Me-TV regarding my problem/setup

https://answers.launchpad.net/me-tv/+question/90538

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast