Thread: Problem with USB, SD and Camera in 9.10 after update.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Problem with USB, SD and Camera in 9.10 after update.

Hello.

After doing an update today or yesterday, my MSI Wind does no longer mount USB-pendrives, external HDD, USB mouse/keyboard (works when I boot with the mouse and keyboard plugged-in, though USB-pendrives do not) or SD-card. Though my SD-card reader haven't worked since I installed 9.10..

lsusb and fdisk does not show the devices at all, manual mount does not work.

Pretty much screwed here...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Problem with USB, SD and Camera in 9.10 after update.

Same problem here. I upgraded my MSI Wind U100 to 9.10 UNR and now have no USB. I read some posts about interference from "uvcvideo," uninstalled it and also blacklisted it, but no love.

Right now my MSI is a doorstop because I can't even install another distro on it!
    Ubuntu 12.04 on Dell Inspiron 17R with i7 processor and Intel HD4000 graphics.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by canadianwriterman View Post
    Same problem here. I upgraded my MSI Wind U100 to 9.10 UNR and now have no USB. I read some posts about interference from "uvcvideo," uninstalled it and also blacklisted it, but no love.

Right now my MSI is a doorstop because I can't even install another distro on it!
    yay. I'm not alone To be honest, I'm not expecting a fix to this issue except for a new kernel, which might pop up some time soon, or not.. I guess it is too specific to warrant some attention from devs..

Sux, though. Feel crippled without my USB and SD card. I guess the issue lie in either lacking of drivers or the new devkit.

Beans
    Distro

Update: Did an update yesterday, and now everything seems to be working again. Not sure which update it was, or if it was what did it. Today USB, bluetooth, and SD card works fine

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lodravah View Post
    Update: Did an update yesterday, and now everything seems to be working again. Not sure which update it was, or if it was what did it. Today USB, bluetooth, and SD card works fine
    Well, everything stopped working at some point too yesterday. No USB of nothing. Fiddled around and found that the USB-support is broken by the initialization of my Bison webcam.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/rele...s%20with%20KMS

Releasenotes regarding the webcam and disabling it. It worked for me, hope it works for you too..

Beans

Angry Re: Problem with USB, SD and Camera in 9.10 after update.

MEDION - BISON WEBCAM
    It's been now a month I checked all foru,s, helps, dos & undos to fix my "bison" webcam on a Medio ... Akoya.
    The sys log shows the device as initialized, it's on dev0, but... it conflicts or the device cannot be accessed whatever I do.
    I have all updated, kernel, karmic, uvnc, even tried to use a program called easycam 2 or something like, never managed to get the proper files to install, the product seems on a shelf waiting for a better season.
    The ref. site say that Bison-Medion works fine, the another log says that it doesn't work (can remember).
    One thing is sure ... the driver loads. But ?
    I forgot... the cam shows in Skype but doesn't work.
    Last edited by montevjl; December 13th, 2009 at 07:18 PM.

Beans

montevjl

do you have cheese or wxcam installed
    open the terminal type gstreamer-properties
    click video try v4l1 or v4l2

if you look in the cheese help faq you find this

* 6.1. The video is sluggish/has a slow response. What can I do?
    * 6.2. I have a Mac with iSight and a ATI graphics card, and the colors are weird.
    * 6.3. My webcam works with gstreamer, but does not work with Cheese. What's wrong?
    * 6.4. My webcam works with other programs such as Ekiga, Camorama, but not with Cheese. What's wrong?
    * 6.5. Where does Cheese store my photos and videos?
    * 6.6. My Quickcam Express doesn't work with Cheese...
    * 6.7. "No Camera Found" Error Message
    * 6.8. Which cameras are supported?

6.1. The video is sluggish/has a slow response. What can I do?

You may have set "ximagesink" (X Window System (No Xv)) as video-output.
    This means that your CPU is doing all the work. Change it to "xvimagesink"
    (X Window System (X11/XShm/Xv)) in order to let your graphics card do the work.

To change this setting, run the gstreamer-properties
    command, click the Video tab
    and change the appropriate setting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'll confirm this. I'm running 2.6.31-18-generic #55-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 8 14:54:52 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux as my kernel. Attempts to mount the usbfs via these lines in /etc/fstab fail:

usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs auto 0 0
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=46,devmode=664 0 0

The message I receive is here:

mount: mount point /proc/bus/usb does not exist

Rebooting in 2.6.31-17-generic, everything works fine. Any ideas on what changed with 2.6.31-18-generic that disabled mounting usbfs?