Thread: Troubles with usb-to-parallel adapter printing

Beans

Troubles with usb-to-parallel adapter printing

Hi,
    I have a brand new server that has NO parallel port, so, in order to attach my ancient and glorious HP Laserjet 4L , I bought an USB-to-parallel adapter.

Code:
    mcon@server:~$ lsusb
    Bus 003 Device 003: ID 067b:2305 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2305 Parallel Port
    Apparently everything is ok and I can user System->Configuration->Printing to recognize my printer.

Problem is when I try to print a test page I get:
    Code:
    Nov 12 12:14:29 server kernel: [ 7089.737165] usblp0: nonzero read bulk status received: -62
    Nov 12 12:14:30 server kernel: [ 7089.922140] usblp0: nonzero read bulk status received: -62
    Nov 12 12:14:31 server kernel: [ 7091.426043] usblp0: nonzero write bulk status received: -62
    The Printer is activated (deceived data indicator is on) but nothing is printed. If I force page eject directly on the printer I see a small part of the ubuntu test page (about one inch) and then some gibberish.

I found another post that seems promising (hp-6l-am-usb-port-mit-usb-zu-parallel-adapter) but that is a bit German and my knowledge of that fine language is lacking
    I seem to understand they solved the problem somehow, but I can't divine how.

Please help me
    Thanks in Advance
    ZioNemo

Beans

Re: Troubles with usb-to-parallel adapter printing

In the German he basically says to buy the "Digitus DC USB-PM1 VPR 4.0" but he still cannot get it to print and he has had no new answers

Beans

I'm having trouble getting even as far as you have. I have a (very cheapo) usb-parrallel (DB25) converter cable which I know uses a pl2305 prolific chipset (from the windows drivers that come with it). When I plug it in an do

lsusb

it is not listed.
    Another post suggested:

modprobe pl2305

is required to get it working but when I do this I get:

FATAL: Module pl2305 not found.

I have recently purchased and used a pl2303-based usb-serial converter that worked perfectly. I think i remember needing to do 'modprobe pl2303' to get it working but after that it worked fine everytime. Do you need to download/install modules?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

- Khalid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Take a look at this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=894223&highlight=laserjet+4L&page =2

Post #15

It worked for me

Hope it helps

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ZioNemo View Post
    Code:
    mcon@server:~$ lsusb
    Bus 003 Device 003: ID 067b:2305 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2305 Parallel Port
    Apparently everything is ok and I can user System->Configuration->Printing to recognize my printer.

Problem is when I try to print a test page I get:
    Code:
    Nov 12 12:14:29 server kernel: [ 7089.737165] usblp0: nonzero read bulk status received: -62
    Nov 12 12:14:30 server kernel: [ 7089.922140] usblp0: nonzero read bulk status received: -62
    Nov 12 12:14:31 server kernel: [ 7091.426043] usblp0: nonzero write bulk status received: -62
    The Printer is activated (deceived data indicator is on) but nothing is printed. If I force page eject directly on the printer I see a small part of the ubuntu test page (about one inch) and then some gibberish.
    I'm having the exactly same problem! Have you managed to fix it?