Thread: Is there anything like Macromedia Flash MX for ubuntu?

Beans

Is there anything like Macromedia Flash MX for ubuntu?

I liked programming in it for school, but C and all that stuff looks scary compared to moving clouds and making games and stuff. Is there anything like it on linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Is there anything like Macromedia Flash MX for ubuntu?

You might be able to generate something comparable to Flash effects using a combination of SVG and SMIL, or something similar, but if you're looking for a nice GUI environment like that, then there probably isn't, though you might be able to actually run Flash MX in wine or CXOffice or something like that...

In any case, I don't think Flash is in any way practical for general purpose programming. Even games beyond the most simple wouldn't be practical in Flash. If you're looking for a system to let you graphically build general purpose GUI apps, take a look at Glade, or maybe KDevelop (these would still require at least some understanding of a general language like Python [which is actually pretty easy to pick up] or C++).

Andrew

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by celloandy
    You might be able to generate something comparable to Flash effects using a combination of SVG and SMIL, or something similar, but if you're looking for a nice GUI environment like that, then there probably isn't, though you might be able to actually run Flash MX in wine or CXOffice or something like that...

In any case, I don't think Flash is in any way practical for general purpose programming. Even games beyond the most simple wouldn't be practical in Flash. If you're looking for a system to let you graphically build general purpose GUI apps, take a look at Glade, or maybe KDevelop (these would still require at least some understanding of a general language like Python [which is actually pretty easy to pick up] or C++).

Andrew
    Thank you for your quick & informative reply.

Well I'm kind of hooked on flash due to school, actually I'm sure Macromedia sell themselves to educational systems as much as MS "donate" MS products to schools However, Flash's programming language Actionscript has prepared me well for other languages, such as a switch loop, case loop, with, for etc...

I will look into kdevelop. What I need is the graphical aspect of moving things, I can't fly blind yet.

Beans

All of the MX products work under CrossOver Office; maybe even Wine now. Try it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Your freedom is worth more than you think. Take advantage of it while you can.
    I take Ubuntu