Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDMI sound output working, but not automatically

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

HDMI sound output working, but not automatically

Hi,

Each time I use the HDMI output to connect my laptop and my TV everything works fine except the sound output. I have to go to sound preferences and change there the output to hdmi so that it works.

My question is: is there a way to do this automatically?. I mean, it would be great if ubuntu automatically change the sound output to hdmi when I plug the cable. On Windows is that way, it's "direct".

If there is no way to do so, do you think this should be automatic?

Thanks!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HDMI sound output working, but not automatically

Bump!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PauGNU View Post
    Hi,

Each time I use the HDMI output to connect my laptop and my TV everything works fine except the sound output. I have to go to sound preferences and change there the output to hdmi so that it works.

My question is: is there a way to do this automatically?. I mean, it would be great if ubuntu automatically change the sound output to hdmi when I plug the cable. On Windows is that way, it's "direct".

If there is no way to do so, do you think this should be automatic?

Thanks!!
    I have the same problem..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

+1

Surely a script could be written?

Beans

Bump?

Beans

got mega disappointed with umbongo with this yesterday. I have to manually set the sound to go to hdmi on my lenovo edge 13 (intel) and ubuntu 10.10.

I helped my wifes cousin with her new tv and she runs win7 and i just plugged in the hdmi cable to laptop and tv and got immediate picture and sound from her laptop. Ive used amd64 ubuntu on a different laptops full time since 5.10 and gone through manual config pain for everything out there, but it just broke my spirit completely yesterday when something as simple as hdmi connection jsut works, the way it should do, with win7, and I *still* have to jump through hoops on ubuntu.

I don't want to hear about custom scripts. devs should just fix this so it works on autopilot just like mounting a usb stick works automatically these days, compared to the old days when you had to mount everything manually. Seems like some devs still don't get that users want auto "mount" of external devices. FFS!

Beans

same issue!! cant it be done automatically?!
    is there anyone listening?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

bump

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by finite9 View Post
    got mega disappointed with umbongo with this yesterday. I have to manually set the sound to go to hdmi on my lenovo edge 13 (intel) and ubuntu 10.10.

I helped my wifes cousin with her new tv and she runs win7 and i just plugged in the hdmi cable to laptop and tv and got immediate picture and sound from her laptop. Ive used amd64 ubuntu on a different laptops full time since 5.10 and gone through manual config pain for everything out there, but it just broke my spirit completely yesterday when something as simple as hdmi connection jsut works, the way it should do, with win7, and I *still* have to jump through hoops on ubuntu.

I don't want to hear about custom scripts. devs should just fix this so it works on autopilot just like mounting a usb stick works automatically these days, compared to the old days when you had to mount everything manually. Seems like some devs still don't get that users want auto "mount" of external devices. FFS!
    Remember that you're not paying anything for this, the least you could do is ask nicely...
    You don't know the complexity behind it, they may have other prioritise etc. I feel sorry for the developers and hope they don't get to see such messages as much as I would want it to work.

Beans

I ran a few searches through Ubuntu Launchpad bugs to see if there were any issues open for this and I couldn't find anything. I might not be searching for the right terms, though. I agree, this is a fairly major "nice to have" feature for me, as I'm constantly plugging and unplugging my laptop from an external HDMI TV. Would you guys mind helping out with getting an issue opened for this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast