Thread: Macbook unable to boot from live-CD?

Beans

Question Macbook unable to boot from live-CD?

Hi!

I have encountered a problem while trying to dual boot Ubuntu on a Macbook 5.2. I followed online instructions and installed rEFIt, partitioned using Boot Camp, but when I boot from the live-cd, I only get to the main menu. When I choose an option it freezes, and I have tried with different live-cds, including other Linux distributions, but so far they all freeze at some point.

What could be causing this?

Thanks for any help!
    Jimmy

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: Macbook unable to boot from live-CD?

This link might help: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook5-2/Karmic

Be aware that not all of the MacBook's hardware seems to be supported, though. The page lists the supported and unsupported parts.

Cheers,
    Tom

Beans

Tom,

I was hoping I would be able to try this:

"Booting the kernel from the (Live)CD has to be changed. Or else you get a black screen and does nothing at all after 2 seconds of kernel boot. Hit F6 to change the boot options after you selected the language. Then disable acpi enter acpi=off in the boot line. I also added, noapic nolapic irqpoll vga=771"

However, I can't get that far; the screen goes black as soon as I've chosen the language. Is there a way to disable acpi before booting from the live-cd?

Jimmy

Beans

Anyone that knows if there is a way to disable acpi before booting from the live-cd? Or any other work arounds to this boot problem?