Thread: Do I need 8gb of ram?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Do I need 8gb of ram?

So I recently placed an order for a new Dell Studio XPS. The main specs include the i7 820qm mobile processor, a 160gb Intel gen2 hard drive, ATI 4670 HD graphics (1gb memory), and right now 6gb of ddr3 1333mhz ram. I could have chosen 8gb there. With this system, will the memory be my bottleneck? What do you think, would I use 8gb? I am likely to be using Win7 with a virtual xp playing resource hogging games, as well as Ubuntu with a virtual win7, possibly at the same time as compiling code or the like. Should I go with 8gb or is 6gb enough? Thanks! (Everything is 64 bit, and I am aware of the memory limitations of various 32 bit apps.)

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Do I need 8gb of ram?

I do all of that with 4GB DDR2 800MHz, a Q6600 and a 8800GT, and performance is just fine...so what I would say is that 6GB will be fine, but if it's not too much more, go with 8GB..it won't hurt.

(Having said that, I really wish I had upgraded to 8GB while DDR2 was still really cheap )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

6 GB is just fine, and you could probably have gone with 4 GB as well. You can't have enough memory, but, I really think 6 GB is sufficient. If there is a bottleneck for gaming, it's the 4670.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mivo View Post
    6 GB is just fine, and you could probably have gone with 4 GB as well. You can't have enough memory, but, I really think 6 GB is sufficient. If there is a bottleneck for gaming, it's the 4670.
    Oh thanks, both of you. Is there anything that the memory could bottleneck?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i think at this point a memory bottleneck wouldent be due to your amount of ram but the speed. which in a laptop i dont suggest overclocking to solve that issue lol.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Tsquad View Post
    i think at this point a memory bottleneck wouldent be due to your amount of ram but the speed. which in a laptop i dont suggest overclocking to solve that issue lol.
    Oh, good to know, thanks. I guess I'll just add if ever start to bottleneck.