Thread: Some Issues with Karmic Koala

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Some Issues with Karmic Koala

Hello all, I just upgraded to 9.10 and Ive been messing around with "Empathy" and one thing i noticed was that the icon on the actions menu would match that of Empathy's icon (green circle, red triangle) and so i figured, ill delete it and re-add to the panel with the "add-to panel" and after i deleted it i was surprised to see that it was not in the add-to panel menu.

I did some googleing and i have found out that there is some control of the actions menu in System -> Admin -> Login Screen...or at least there was on previous builds. After going in and seeing that my only options is auto-login, i did some more searching and found that apparently the login screen is non-configurable. After exclaiming several "frowned upon" words out loud, I then proceed to stop downloading the GDM themes i had been planning on testing.

So anyway, what i am asking is:
    1.) How do I replace the ORIGINAL actions menu?
    2.) Once the Actions menu is restored, how to keep its icon from copying Empathy's
    3.) Anyone hear anything about why ubuntu decided to go all "windows" on us with the non-configurable login screen.
    4.) anyone know how to get around this? Possibly a utility that would install a GDM theme from a site like Gnome-Look?

ANY help would be MUCH appreciated.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Some Issues with Karmic Koala

And another unfortunate change is I seem to no longer be able to keep Nautilus from drawing the desktop. I oddly enough liked this feature, before I did this by ->
    Code:
    gconf-editor
    apps -> nautilus -> preferences -> then i unchecked the "Show Desktop"

But now it seems that that no longer affects it.

methinks that Ubuntu is edging closer and closer to windows as far as controllability. Which is sad because that is one thing i LOVE about ubuntu.

Please prove me wrong...I DONT WANNA USE WINDOWS!

Beans
    Distro

Re: Some Issues with Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Big Luke View Post
    And another unfortunate change is I seem to no longer be able to keep Nautilus from drawing the desktop. I oddly enough liked this feature, before I did this by ->
    Code:
    gconf-editor
    apps -> nautilus -> preferences -> then i unchecked the "Show Desktop"

But now it seems that that no longer affects it.
    Well a reboot seemed to fix this but nothing else.