Beans

Re: Cannot click on any feature on youtube 9.10

Thanks a lot, that did the trick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFeet View Post
    OK, settle down. Since you are using 64bit ubuntu, we're going to go a different route.

First, uninstall flash. Then do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get autoremove
    Then get the 64bit flash file.

Right click it and extract here. You will be left with libflashplayer.so file. Put the libflashplayer.so file in your home folder.

Then do:
    Code:
    sudo cp /home/your_user_name/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
    Make sure to put your name where I wrote your_user_name.

Restart firefox if open.

You see, you were using the 32bit flash file which does not always work well in 64bit ubuntu.

I do this, and it works every time. Let us know how it goes.
    I've installed 64bit flash from:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1259102

(Which seems to be the same as your instructions)

However, I'm still getting wacky behavior out of youtube and the like, similar to the OP (unable to press buttons in the flash frame/module). Also, when flash is active, I get npviewer.bin showing in my process list.

Isn't npviewer.bin the 32-bit flash?

Otherwise, do you have any suggestions or could you walk me through complete removal of Flash and reinstallation? Synaptic doesn't list any of the flashes are installed, so I'm not sure how I'd go about removing them on my own.
    PC: AMD64 X2 2.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 80+120+320+500 GB HDD, Jaunty 9.04/Win 6.0.0.1
    Laptop: Turion X2 1.60 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, Jaunty 9.04/Win 7.0
    Server: P4 2.0 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HDD, Fedora 7 -- temporarily decommissioned

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by touchlikefire View Post
    Otherwise, do you have any suggestions or could you walk me through complete removal of Flash and reinstallation?
    Did you read my post? There are 3 ways to fix this problem, and the link I posted includes plenty of description on how to remove Flash, if that's the route you choose (e.g. this comment).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I read this entire thread, in fact. Let me rephrase my question. Karmic installed the ndis-wrapped 32-bit version of the Flash plugin, which everybody knows sucks.

So I went about getting rid of it, per the instructions in my link. However, I suspect that it is not really gone, since even though I've installed the 64bit Adobe plugin alpha, I get weird behavior from flash websites, similar to the OP. Also, when I
    Code:
    I get npviewer.bin near the top, which I was under the impression was the 32-bit plugin.

So my intuition is that FFx is actually using the 32bit plugin instead of the 64bit. Since
    Code:
    aptitude search flash
    shows nothing is installed, I'm not sure how else to verify this.

My question, then, is:
    If I've already installed the 64bit flash, and I'm getting the aforementioned problems, how do I check if the 32bit flash is in use or installed, and if so, how do I remove it manually?
    Server: P4 2.0 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HDD, Fedora 7 -- temporarily decommissioned

Beans

Well, the link I pointed you at last post says:

there were many steps to kill the old Flash plugin. Here's the commands I ran from my history (after extracting the adobe .tar.gz download to ~/Temp):

sudo rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/*flash*
    sudo rm -f ~/.mozilla/plugins/*flash*
    sudo rm -f /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/*flash*
    sudo rm -f /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/*flash*
    sudo rm -rfd /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper

sudo cp ~/Temp/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
    sudo cp ~/Temp/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins

I'm now able to watch fullscreen HD from Youtube & scroll around, play/pause without issues.
    So that's how you get rid of the 32-bit flash. But, like I said in my post before that, this seems like a lot of trouble when you can solve the original problem via a simpler method.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I apparently I didn't click through the link to see that information, thanks.

I've got a big problem now, however. Flash doesn't work at all. I entered the remove commands above, then copied the file to the listed locations, and...no dice.

I've gone through this tutorial, and the one here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1259102 but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Fixed by removing everything again by the above commands, and then installing the flash-installer package from Synaptic. I'll then try these steps over.

Beans

Thanks HappyFeet this is an excellent workaround. I had problems after an auto update of flash which caused my working flash plugin to stop responding to mouse clicks on plugin buttons. Now it works. Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by parsim View Post
    From the Ubuntu bug report:

Workaround #3 seems to be the most painless option atm.
    Most painless *and* effective.

Workaround #2, the one suggested by HappyFeet, did not work for me.

Of course, disabling compiz might've worked also, but I didn't want to do that >.>

Thanks, ubuntuforums ^_^
    Running 64-bit Maverick on this computer: [link]
    -Upgraded to 3 gigs of RAM, Radeon x700 graphics card.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123