Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot click on any feature on youtube 9.10

Beans

Cannot click on any feature on youtube 9.10

Ok, First let me say that I am new to ubuntu. This is the first version that I have used, and I have gotten a hang of alot of the things via tutorials, and videos.

So here is my problem - When I go to youtube the video will play fine. Now what doesnt work is clicking on anything related to flash in the video section. (the box that you control the video from. play pause volume HD HQ and even if I right click and select settings, once again I cannot click on anything int he little box)

I have reinstalled ubuntu 3 times trying to figure it out, each time with a different way to install all of the codecs and plugin players, I dont want to install a 4th time, but I dont really know how to successfully uninstall anything I have added to ubuntu this far so it might be my only option.

I am using x64 ubuntu Distro if you need any more information just ask.

Also if there is a fully automated way to install anything needed like codecs and plugins I would be willing to go that route as long as it fixes this problem.

Thank you very much!!!
    Nathan

Beans

Re: Cannot click on any feature on youtube 9.10

I just installed 9.10 today and am having the same problem. It seems to happen with all sites utilizing FLASH.

Beans

Ok, So I have been playing around with everything for a couple hours now, and I cannot see any rhyme or reason for this.

I uninstall adobe flash, reinstall adobe flash through Applications>Ubuntu software center and try youtube, Hey look everything works. I then Click on another link and lone behold, It doesnt work again. So I repeat the process to see if it works the first time only, and guess what? It doesnt work.

I am not giving up yet, I want to figure this out. I like ubuntu so far, I just hate that I am having this problem. It is making me want to just go back to windows 7, But I want to be able to use both equally well, I guess you could say this is a learning experiance for me to truble shoot and use the terminal alot in ubuntu =]

Please help!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

OK, settle down. Since you are using 64bit ubuntu, we're going to go a different route.

First, uninstall flash. Then do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get autoremove
    Then get the 64bit flash file.

Right click it and extract here. You will be left with libflashplayer.so file. Put the libflashplayer.so file in your home folder.

Then do:
    Code:
    sudo cp /home/your_user_name/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
    Make sure to put your name where I wrote your_user_name.

Restart firefox if open.

You see, you were using the 32bit flash file which does not always work well in 64bit ubuntu.

I do this, and it works every time. Let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by HappyFeet; November 12th, 2009 at 05:09 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

A bit of searching turns up this:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer
    Add this before the last line of text
    Code:
    export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1
    then save and restart firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by michy99 View Post
    A bit of searching turns up this:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer
    Add this before the last line of text
    Code:
    export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1
    then save and restart firefox.
    That is just a workaround. My method is the preferred way to install the proper flash file. Actually, you can install the flash file via GUI also, but it's just as many instructions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

rawr!
    Ubuntu User #20718 Linux User #433591
    MSI 790FX-GD70, AthlonII x2, 8gb G.Skill ram, 3 nVidia 240s. wtb athlon2 x6...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by /usr/bin/hacked? View Post
    rawr!
    Please keep comments like that confined to the community cafe. People need help here, not silly comments.

Beans

Ok, I didnt think I would ever say this, but thank you happy feet!!!

ok, so I had wubi on my laptop, and the first thing I did was what you said, and it works!!! =] so I had messed with my install on my desktop so much that when I tried what you said, when I would go to youtube, the firefox browser would just close, and it would go to other websites fine, so i figured a fresh install would be best. I will let you know how it works, but I think it will work fine. =]

I know your prolly thinking that a full install was a little overkill but right now I am still working on getting around ubuntu so I dont think I would be able to fix whatever I messed up.

So with that being said is there any other things that 64 bit will have a problem with? in ways of codecs and such? should I just install the other ones normally?

Once Again, Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It's all pretty much the same as far as codecs and such. I find 64bit ubuntu a bit more stable and robust. YMMV. And in 32bit ubuntu, you can download the regular tar.gz and put it in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

It's the same for opera too, you just obviously need to change the path to /usr/lib/opera/plugins

Have fun and don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast