Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of google's go language?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What do you think of google's go language?

Just wondering what you guys think about google's new open source programming language go?
    http://golang.org/

Although I didn't do extensive research I find it rather interesting?
    It's not completely what I'm waiting for, though. I am still waiting for an open source C# like language that compiles binary code (that runs without a runtime environment).

I also think go is clean, but tries to be a little too clean at times, making it unnecessarily cryptic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: What do you think of google's go language?

Quote Originally Posted by whoop View Post
    I am still waiting for an open source C# like language that compiles binary code (that runs without a runtime environment).
    What about Vala? Also Mono applications can be compiled into a standalone binary (all of the referenced parts of the runtime are embedded into the binary).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cszikszoy View Post
    What about Vala? Also Mono applications can be compiled into a standalone binary (all of the referenced parts of the runtime are embedded into the binary).
    Cool!!! I'll look into that...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by whoop View Post
    Cool!!! I'll look into that...
    And unlike C#, with Vala you can actually use GtkBuilder.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by days_of_ruin View Post
    And unlike C#, with Vala you can actually use GtkBuilder.
    MonoDevelop has a great visual GTK designer.

Beans

I just took a look at it, and it doesn't look great tbh. Looks like old, dated concepts slightly rehashed. Nothing really that exciting.

It seems to combine the worst points of so many languages, without any of the good points. Also seems inconsistent in areas.

As far as low level programming goes, I think C or even C++ would be far more suitable, & for higher level stuff, I think Vala, Java, C# and the others have more impressive features.

I would have expected better of Google in all honesty.
    "The Map is Not the Territory" - Alfred Korzybski

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SunSpyda View Post
    I just took a look at it, and it doesn't look great tbh. Looks like old, dated concepts slightly rehashed. Nothing really that exciting.

It seems to combine the worst points of so many languages, without any of the good points. Also seems inconsistent in areas.

As far as low level programming goes, I think C or even C++ would be far more suitable, & for higher level stuff, I think Vala, Java, C# and the others have more impressive features.

I would have expected better of Google in all honesty.
    Maybe you could expand those arguments a bit. What exactly are the old, dated, slightly rehashed concepts that make Go suck so much? What are the worst points of other languages that Go combines? Any examples of the inconsistencies?

I find Go very interesting. Some big and small things that I really like:
    - Code compiles super fast, and there's no C++ -like dependency hell
    - Google claims that the performance is typically within 10-20% of C/C++, so it's suitable for performance critical applications
    - The "defer" statement which means I can use RAII like in C++
    - Functions can return multiple values
    - The ":=" short declaration, which means the compiler derives the type from the expression. Same as "auto" types in C++0x.
    - No implicit fallthrough in switch statements
    - Untyped constants
    - Interfaces that combine the advantages of dynamically typed languages and compile-time type-checking
    - The concurrency stuff looks very simple and powerful when compared to threads, mutexes, condition variables, etc.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think it's stupid. Unless this lango is commonly used with their own OS.

I rather stick with commonly used programming langos. The reason is that if for some reason you need a job as a programmer you will have a hard time finding jobs or work that will require langos that are not commonly used.

C++ is commonly used. The others like python and java ... c etc.. they are used commonly.

C++ beats most because it's been around the longest kinda like windows. If you notice alot of people still use windows even though linux is free. They use what is commonly used. That way their is less fuss and hassle.

Like if windows has a problem before you know it a patch will be out. Compared to new OS never heard before if you use those you may never see a patch work.

This go lango may catch on only if they make it a common use for their OS and other OS'S Or have the lango to program or support programming for cellphones easily.

I am not well experienced in making software but just my thoughts. I just know it boils down to how society embarrasses it. If many people uses it then you will be moving in that direction. Just because their is more support and also jobs out their that will require those langos to know.

So I guess it depends on the trend. To me I dont fully see what's the difference between go and c++ or any programming lango just the syntax is different but concepts are pretty much the same to some extent.

Beans
    Hidden!

What in the float hell "open source language" mean?!? Is it got ISO standard, or any kind of standard that everybody could implement? You can say that it use open source RT or open source compiler, but "open source language"...come on, sometimes it's really ugly how companies use the idea of open world to just advertise themselfs! BLAH! It really taste very bad! BLAH!

About the language itself: putting enough money, every library turn into "language" could become as much popular as java/c#, etc. The fast compilation time, when it comes to big projects will be really nice, if it holds for large stuff as well and if the laguage emphasise modular programming(like C/C++ which is the biggest power of header files).

P.S. Clean is everything else but sure not constant when it comes to software. Some people will say that one single hidden pointer dereference is "dirty", other that everything else except functions is "messy".
    P({})

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by cszikszoy View Post
    MonoDevelop has a great visual GTK designer.
    Meh, I have used both and I prefer Glade-3. Stetic can't add as many widgets and is C# only. Either way, right now you can't use GtkBuilder in Gtk# (it is simply not fully implemented) and that is a bad thing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast