Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install and Run DVDfab Decrypter with wine

Beans

HOWTO: Install and Run DVDFab Decrypter with Wine

The first thing you need to do is get the current version of Wine from WineHQ installed on your machine. Here is a link to a guide on how to do this.

Then you need to download DVDFab Decrypter. Here is a link to download DVDFab Decrypter.

To install DVDFab Decrypter, place the downloaded file in your home directory. Then open the Terminal and enter:
    Code:
    wine DVDFabDecrypter29.exe
    If you download a different version of DVDFab Decrypter, just use that name instead of what I have listed above.

After DVDFab Decrypter has been installed, do not have it run at the end of the install process. We need to install a dll and configure Wine first.

The dll you will need is mfc42.dll. This has to come from an install of Windows XP. To save you some time here is a link to download this file. Place the zip file in your home directory. Then Unzip and place it in .wine/drive_c/windows/system/.

Code:
    unzip dll.zip -d ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system/
    To configure Wine, what you will need to do is open winecfg and make it use your freshly installed dll. Click the Libraries tab, enter mfc42.dll in the New Override area, and click add. Then press Apply.

Code:
    winecfg

Now lets set up our DVD drive so it comes right up in DVDFab Decrypter. To do this we need to choose the Drives section in winecfg and choose Advanced. Click the letter of the drive that is your DVD drive. Then set it's type to CD-ROM. Then click Apply and OK. Now lets create an icon in the Applications menu to run DVDFab Decrypter.

To create an icon in your Applications menu type in the following command and then cut and past the Desktop Entry info into this new text file and save it.
    Code:
    sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/dvdfabdecrypter.desktop
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=DVDFab Decrypter
    Exec=wine .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/DVDFab\ Decrypter/DVDFabDecrypter.exe
    Icon=gnome-dev-cdrom.png
    Type=Application
    Categories=Application;AudioVideo

Now you should be up and running. Just select the icon in your Sound and Video section of Applications and start backing up your DVD's.

To shrink your DVD's you will want to look as this guide on how to install DVDShrink in Wine. Make sure you don't use their copy of mfc42.dll. It does not work with DVDFab Decrypter.

***After further testing it looks like this is not the complete solution to geting DVDFab working. It runs, but it does not convert disks correctly. If anyone has more to add please do!***
    Last edited by Sabot; February 22nd, 2006 at 04:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: Install and Run DVDfab Decrypter with wine

Good job. Its up and running now, I hope it decrypts fine.

Thanks for posting this
    Registered linux user 394273

Beans

After running this on a few disks. It looks like it will only back up disks that have no protection on them. When ever I try to back up a protected disk I get an error when I try to read the files with DVD Shrink. The error is "invalid data in video_ts.vob" It looks like we may need one more dll to make this work. I have not been able to track down the correct one.

Beans

I have used this tutorial to install DVDFab Platinum w/o any issues so far.

Beans

It didn't work for me, though I followed your recipe. I am new here, however. I've decided to just put windows back on, but only install the few programs I still need. I'd rather reboot my machine every time I switch to a different app than be frustrated by Wine. Perhaps someday I'll be ready, but like I said I'm new here.
    Last edited by villain_s_deeds; February 28th, 2009 at 11:56 PM. Reason: I was in a bad mood when I originally posted. I'm better now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It seems to work fine for me so far. I did the disk to disk and saved as an ISO. I viewed the ISO with VLC. I really appreciate the info!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Not bad. Four years later and this still works almost exactly as written.

The .desktop shortcut doesn't work, not just because the executable filename has changed. But that's not really a big deal. I just created a launcher in AWN using basically the same run command:
    Code:
    wine .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/DVDFab\ 7/DVDFab.exe
    Also the link to the DLL is dead, but it's easy enough to locate it on a windows machine.

Cheers!
    "I take it from your glum demeanor that your ill-advised foray into time-travel destroyed yet another reality."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a new problem using DVDFab 8.0.2.2:
    The preferences menu is not working. I can expand or collapse the entries, but cannot click one and edit some preferences.
    Any ideas?

Beans

Really don't use but was curious - to navigate the settings (or ones available) you need to use a combo of left click with cursor in left side box and then arrow key for each setting.
    So - left click, arrow, left click, arrow, left click. arrow, ect.ect. - I'm sure you'll get the idea after a bit (watch for focu
    To go back up from a main category to one higher then close that category with the little arrow key
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; October 10th, 2010 at 02:01 AM. Reason: ,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

omg. Thank you very much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast